Determination of U-Pb age and rare earth element concentrations of zircons from Cenozoic intrusions in northeastern China by laser ablation ICP-MS
- 184 Downloads
Using the in situ zircon U-Pb dating method of LA-ICPMS, we analyzed the 31 Ma old SHRIMP U-Pb age of the Yongsheng nepheline syenite from southern Jilin Province under different spot sizes. The obtained ages are comparable with that of SHRIMP in both accuracy and precision. The age is also identical to that of the Yinmawanshan gabbro from the Liaodong Peninsula within error. Both the Yongsheng nepheline syenite and the Yinmawanshan gabbro represent the youngest known exposed intrusions in northeastern and even eastern China. The results indicate the Eocene mantle-derived magmatic underplating, and the rapid crustal uplifting of this region since 30 Ma. The analyses also document extremely high LREE concentrations and relatively flat REE patterns for the zircons from the Yongsheng nepheline syenite, which represent a new type of zircon REE pattern.
KeywordsLA-ICPMS U-Pb dating Cenozoic gabbro syenite zircon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Xu, P., Guan, H., Sun, M. etc., Further discussion on analytical methodlogy and calibration strategies for Pb-Pb isotope analyses of zircon by ICP-MS, Geochimica (in Chinese), 1999, 28: 136–143.Google Scholar
- 9.Liang, X. L., Li, X. H., Liu, Y. K. et al., Simultaneous determination of U-Pb ages and trace lements in single zircon by using LAM-ICPMS, Rock and Mineral Analysis (in Chinese), 1999, 18: 253–258.Google Scholar
- 10.Liang, X. L., Li, X. H., Liu, Y. K. et al., Application of LA-ICPMS to young zircon U-Pb dating, Geochimica (in Chinese), 2000, 29: 1–5.Google Scholar
- 11.Li, X. H., Liang, X., Sun, M. et al., Geochronology and geochemistry of single-grain zircons: Simultaneous in situ analysis of U-Pb age and trace elements by LAM-ICP-MS, Eur. J. Mineral., 2000, 12: 1015–1024.Google Scholar
- 13.Wu, Y. B., Chen, D. G., Xia, Q. K. etc., Zircon Pb-Pb dating and trace elements analysis of the Huangtuling granulite from Dabieshan Mountain using LAM-ICPMS, Sci. China, series D (in Chinese), 2003, 33: 20–28.Google Scholar
- 15.Song, B., Zhang, Y. H., Wan, Y. S. et al., Target preparation, age determination and discussion about some phenomenon of SHRIMP zircon isotopic analysis, Geol. Rev. (in Chinese), 2002 (Supp.), 5: 26–30.Google Scholar
- 18.Ludwig, K. R., or]ISOPLOT: A plotting and regression program for radiogenic-isotope data, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report, 1991,39.Google Scholar
- 20.Williams, I. S., U-Th-Pb geochronology by ion microprobe, Applications of Microanalytical Techniques to Understanding Mineralizing Processes (eds. McKibben, M. A., Shanks III, W. C., Ridley, W. I.), Rev. Econ. Geol., 1998, 7: 1–35.Google Scholar
- 23.Belousova, E. A., Griffin, W. L., O’Reilly, S. Y. et al., Igneous zircon: trace element composition as an indicator of source rock type, Contrib. Mineral. Petrol., 2002, 143: 602–622.Google Scholar