Microcrystalline coatings deposited by series double-pole electro-pulse discharge and its high-temperature oxidation behavior
- 53 Downloads
A new technique—series electro-pulse discharge (SEPD)—was developed as a surface coating process. In this process, both positive and negative poles of a pulse power were used as the depositing electrodes and the substrate alloy was used as an induction electrode. The physical process for such SEPD was tested by measuring the relationship between the discharge voltages and gaps in a pin-plate-pin system. Microcrystalline Ni20Cr alloy coatings and oxidedispersed Ni20Cr alloy coatings were prepared on Ni20Cr alloy surface by using a vibrating SEPD device. Oxidation at 950°C in ambient air showed that the microcrystalline Ni20Cr alloy coatings greatly improved the oxidation resistance of the substrate alloy. The addition of dispersed Y2O3 nano-particles into the microcrystalline coatings was found to further reduce the oxidation rate and enhance the oxide spallation resistance.
Keywordsseries electro-pulse discharge deposition dispersed Y2O3 microcrystalline coatings high-temperature oxidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Roger, N. J., Electro-spark deposited coatings for High Temperature Wear and Corrosion Applications. Elevated Temperature coatings science and tecnology I, The Minerals (eds. Dahotre, N. B. Hampikian, J. M., Stiglich, J. J.), Metals & Materials Society, 1995, 265–277.Google Scholar
- 2.Chen Zhongxie, Electro-spark Strengthening Process (in Chinese), Beijing: Mechanical Industry Press, 1987, 1.Google Scholar
- 3.Chen Zhongxie, The Electro-spark strengthening of metallic surface. Electric Process (in Chinese), 1978, (2): 3–12.Google Scholar
- 5.Raghunathan, S., Stiglich, J. J., Sudarshan, T. S., Characterization of Ir/10W deposited by pulsed electrode surfacing (PES), Elevated Temperature Coatings: Science and Technology I, The Minerals (eds. Dahotre, N. B. Hampikian, J. M., Stiglich, J. J.), Metals & Materials Society, 1995, 303–312.Google Scholar
- 7.Huang Zufen, He Yedong, Wang Deren et al., Aluminizing coating and aluminizing-Y2O3 coating deposited by pulsed spark. Journal of Rare Earths, 2001, 19(2): 150–153.Google Scholar
- 10.Pang Hongmei, He Yedong. Oxidation behavior of aluminide microcrystalline coatings produced by high-fre-quency eletro-spark deposition. Acta Metallurgica Sinica (in Chinese) 2000, 36 (9): 975–978.Google Scholar
- 11.Birks, N., Meier, G. H., Introduction to High Temperature Oxidation of Metals, New York: Edward Arnold Ltd, 1983, 80–83.Google Scholar