VB studies on bonding features of HNC↔HCN
- 67 Downloads
Within the bonded tableau unitary group approach (BTUGA), a scheme, combined with Pauling’s resonance theory to select the predominant valence bond structures for VB calculations, is proposed. This scheme ensures a reliable and illustrative bonding picture in the description of chemical reactions, as exemplified by the isomerization reaction HNC↔HCN. The computation results account for important bonding features about this isomerization at the ab initio level and explore the mechanism of phenomena such as (i) HCN is more stable than HNC; (ii) the C-N bond first lengthens and then shortens in the vicinity of the transition state; (iii) only H-atom migration is observed in the isomerization process, without the breaking of the CN bond. Our results demonstrate that only a few bonded tableau functions are sufficient enough to provide a visual and reliable bonding picture.
KeywordsHCN HNC isomerization VB theory bonding feature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jursic, B. S., Complete basis set ab initio study of potential energy surfaces of the dissociation recombination reaction HCNH++e, J. Mol. Struct., 1999, 487(3): 211–220.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, Q. E., Li, X. Z., Bonded tableau method for many-electron systems, J. Mol. Struct. (Theochem.), 1989, 198:413–425.Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, W., Mo, Y. R., Zhang, Q. E., On the resonance theory, J. Mol. Struct, 1993, 283: 227–236.Google Scholar
- 11.Mo, Y. R., Wu, W., Zhang, Q. E., Valence bond description for the ground state and several low-lying excited states of LiH, J. Mol. Struct, 1993, 283: 237–249.Google Scholar
- 12.Pauling, L., The Nature of Chemical Bond, 3rd ed., Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press, 1960, 64–107.Google Scholar
- 13.Sosa, C., Noga, J., Purvis, G. D. et al., An application of the full CCSDT coupled-cluster method to potential-energy curves—the CH4→CH3+H dissociation, Chem. Phys. Lett, 1998, 153(2–3): 139–146.Google Scholar
- 14.Wu, W., Song, L. C., Mo, Y. R. et al., XIAMEN—An ab initio Spin-Free Valence Bond Program, Xiamen: Xiamen University, 1999.Google Scholar
- 15.Li, Q. M., Fu, X. Y., The topological characteristics of the structures in the vicinity of the transition state of HCN-HNC isomerization, Acta Phys. Chem. Sinica (in Chinese), 1992, 8(6): 724–727.Google Scholar