Variations of opal accumulation rates and paleoproductivity over the past 12 Ma at ODP Site 1143, southern South China Sea
- 67 Downloads
The biogenic silica analysis was performed on 463 samples from ODP 184 Site 1143, the southern South China Sea. The results show that the opal content and MAR evidently increased between 12.3 and 5.7 Ma, which was contemporary with the high carbonate and total MARs, reflecting the high biogenic productivity in the late Miocene. This demonstrates the occurrence of the late Miocene “ Biogenic Bloom Event” in the southern South China Sea, corresponding to the late Miocene-early Pliocene “ Biogenic Bloom Event” in the Indian-Pacific Ocean. The increases of opal content and MAR after the middle Pleistocene (about 0.7 Ma) is inferred to result from the enhanced upwelling and nutrient supply, which was induced by the intensified monsoon circulation after the “ Mid-Pleistocene Revolution”.
Keywordsopal MAR biogenic productivity Biogenic Bloom Event late Miocene South China Sea
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Theyer, F., Mayer, L. A., Barron, J. A. et al., The equatorial Pacific high-productivity belt: elements for a synthesis of Deep Sea Drilling Project Leg 85 results, Initial Rep., DSDP, 1985, 85: 971.Google Scholar
- 3.Farrell, J. W., Raffi, I., Janecek, T. R. et al., Late Neogene Sedimentation Patterns in the Eastern Equatorial Pacific Ocean, Proc. ODP, Sci. Results, 1995, 138: 717.Google Scholar
- 7.Berger, W. H., Leckie, R. M., Janecek, T. R. et al., Neogene carbonate sedimentation on Ontong Java Plateau: highlights and open questions, Proc. ODP, Sci. Results, 1993, 130: 711.Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, P., Prell, W. L., Blum, P. et al., Proc. ODP, Init. Repts. 184: College Station TX (Ocean Drilling Program), 2000, 1–77.Google Scholar
- 13.Berger, W. H., Bickert, T., Jansen, E. et al., The central mystery of the Quaternary Ice Age, Oceanus, 1993, 36(4): 53.Google Scholar
- 15.Liu, T., Ding, Z., Stepwise coupled process of monsoon circulation and variation of continental ice volume over the last 2.5 Ma, Quaternary Sciences (in Chinese with English abstract), 1992, (1): 12.Google Scholar
- 16.Guo, Z., Liu, T., Fedoroff, N. et al., Variations of intensity in monsoon in the Loess Plateau of China since 0.85 Ma, Chinese Science Bulletin (in Chinese), 1993, 38(2): 143.Google Scholar
- 17.Liu, T., Zheng, M., Guo, Z., Initiation and evolution of the Asian monsoon system timely coupled with the ice-sheet growth and the tectonic movements in Asia, Quaternary Sciences (in Chinese with English abstract), 1998(3): 194.Google Scholar