Differentiated structure and function of primary cultures of monkey oviductal epithelium
- 113 Downloads
We have established well-differentiated, polarized cultures of monkey oviductal epithelium. Oviductal epithelial cells were isolated by protease digestion and plated on collagen-coated, porous cell culture inserts. About 5 d after plating, cells developed detectable transepithelial electrical resistance of up to 2000 Ω.cm2 (an index of tight junction formation) and transepithelial voltages of up to 20 mV (an index of vectorial transepithelial ion transport). Measurements of short-circuit current in Ussing chambers indicated that active secretion of Cl was the major transepithelial active ion transport process, and that this was stimulated by elevation of either cAMP or Ca. Furthermore, estimates of the volume of mucosal liquid were consistent with Cl secretion mediating fluid secretion. Various microscopical methods showed that the cultures were densely ciliated and contained mature secretory cells. Transport across the oviductal epithelium determines the composition of the oviductal fluid, and the study of the relevant transport processes will be greatly enhanced by well-differentiated cultures of oviductal epithelium of the kind established here.
Key wordschloride secretion purinergic agonists short-circuit current transepithelial electrical resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ajonuma, L. C.; Ng, E. H. Y.; Chow, P. H.; Hung, C. Y.; Tsang, L. L.; Cheung, A. N. Y.; Brito-Jones, C.; Lok, I. H.; Haines, C. J.; Chan, H. C. Increased cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) expression in the human hydrosalpinx. Hum. Reprod. 20:1228–1234; 2005.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Finkbeiner, W. E. Respiratory cell culture. In: Crystal, R. G.; West, J. B.; Weibel, E. R.; Barnes, P. J., ed. The lung. Scientific foundations. Philadelphia, PA: Lipincott-Raven; 1997: 415–434.Google Scholar
- Hunter, R. H. F. The Fallopian Tubes. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. 1988.Google Scholar
- Lopez-Souza N.; Dolganov, G.; Dubin, R. et al. Resistance of differentiated human airway epithelium to infection by rhinovirus. Am. J. Physiol. 286:L373-L381; 2004.Google Scholar
- Morales, B.; Barrera, N.; Uribe, P.; Mora, C.; Villalon, M. Functional cross talk after activation of P2 and P1 receptors in oviductal ciliated cells. Am. J. Physiol. 279:C658-C669; 2000.Google Scholar