Quality Measurement in Cancer Care Delivery
- 142 Downloads
During the past decade, increasing emphasis has been placed on defining and measuring the quality of health care delivery. The Outcomes Committee of the Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO) was established in 2008 to explore and promote emerging outcomes-related topics that are most relevant to society membership. In recognition of the importance of health care quality, a mini-symposium was held at the SSO’s 63rd Annual Cancer Symposium in St. Louis, Missouri, in March 2010. The primary objective of the symposium was to define what constitutes quality measurement in cancer care. This article presents an overview of the symposium proceedings.
KeywordsCancer Care Quality Improvement Initiative National Quality Forum Quality Oncology Practice Initiative Breast Care Center
We appreciate the secretarial assistance of Sue Louiseau, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, CA. The authors listed in this article (except Dr. Clifford Ko) represent current and outgoing members of the Society of Surgical Oncology Outcomes Research Committee, who contributed to the design and preparation of the mini-symposium held in March 2010 at the 63rd Annual Cancer Symposium in St. Louis, Missouri. We also acknowledge the incoming members, Drs. Robert S. Krouse, Steve K. Libutti, Carol J. Swallow, and Jeffrey D. Wayne for critical review of the manuscript.
Conflict of interest
No financial disclosures or conflicts of interest for any of the authors.
- 1.Hewitt MSJ. Ensuring quality cancer care. Washington DC: National Academy Press; 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.Wennberg JE. The surgical treatment of common diseases. The Darthmouth Atlas of Health Care. Chicago, IL: American Hospital Publishing, Inc.; 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance (CanCORS) Consortium. http://healthservices.cancer.gov/cancors, Vol. 2010: National Cancer Institute.
- 12.Wilke LG, Ballman KV, McCall LM, et al. Adherence to the National Quality Forum (NQF) breast cancer measures within cancer clinical trials: a review from ACOSOG Z0010. Ann Surg Oncol. 17(8):1989–94.Google Scholar
- 13.http://www.qualityforum.org/Measures_List.aspx?keyword=breast+cancer. National Quality Forum.
- 15.http://www.qualityforum.org/Measures_List.aspx?keyword=colon+cancer. National Quality Forum.