Epigenetic Status of CDO1 Gene May Reflect Chemosensitivity in Colon Cancer with Postoperative Adjuvant Chemotherapy
Cysteine dioxygenase type 1 (CDO1) acts as a tumor suppressor gene, and its expression is regulated by promoter DNA methylation in human cancer. The metabolic product mediated by CDO1 enzyme increases mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP), putatively representing chemoresistance. The aim of this study is to investigate the functional relevance of CDO1 gene in colon cancer with chemotherapy.
Patients and Methods
We investigated 170 stage III colon cancer patients for CDO1 methylation by using quantitative methylation-specific polymerase chain reaction (PCR). To elucidate the functional role of CDO1 gene in colorectal cancer (CRC) biology, we established cell lines that stably express CDO1 gene and evaluated chemosensitivity, MMP, and tolerability assay including anaerobic environment.
Hypermethylation of CDO1 gene was an independent prognostic factor for stage III colon cancer on multivariate prognostic analysis. Surprisingly, patients with CDO1 hypermethylation exhibited better prognosis than those with CDO1 hypomethylation in stage III colon cancer with postoperative chemotherapy (P = 0.03); however, a similar finding was not seen in those without postoperative chemotherapy. In some CRC cell lines, forced expression of CDO1 gene increased MMP accompanied by chemoresistance and/or tolerance under hypoxia.
CDO1 methylation may be a useful biomarker to increase the number of stage III colon cancer patients who can be saved by adjuvant therapy. Such clinical relevance may represent the functionally oncogenic property of CDO1 gene through MMP activity.
None of the authors has any conflicts of interest to declare regarding this study.
- 2.Mandelker DL, Yamashita K, Tokumaru Y, et al. PGP9.5 promoter methylation is an independent prognostic factor for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2005;65(11):4963–8. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.can-04-3923.
- 10.Kuebler JP, Wieand HS, O’Connell MJ, et al. Oxaliplatin combined with weekly bolus fluorouracil and leucovorin as surgical adjuvant chemotherapy for stage II and III colon cancer: results from NSABP C-07. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25(16):2198–204. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2006.08.2974.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum. Japanese Classification of Colorectal Carcinoma. 7th ed. Kanehara; 2013. p. 55–63.Google Scholar
- 13.Kojima K, Nakamura T, Ohbu M, et al. Cysteine dioxygenase type 1 (CDO1) gene promoter methylation during the adenoma-carcinoma sequence in colorectal cancer. PLoS ONE. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0194785.
- 19.Meller S, Zipfel L, Gevensleben H, et al. CDO1 promoter methylation is associated with gene silencing and is a prognostic biomarker for biochemical recurrence-free survival in prostate cancer patients. Epigenetics. 2016;11(12):871–80. https://doi.org/10.1080/15592294.2016.1241931.CrossRefGoogle Scholar