Satisfaction and Sustainability in a Surgical Career
Surgery is an extremely rewarding career, but it can also be emotionally and physically exhausting. Awareness of physicians’ tendency to become burned out during their careers is increasing. The goal of the keynote address at the 19th annual meeting of the American Society of Breast Surgeons in Orlando, Florida was to acknowledge the increased rates of burnout and decreased satisfaction with surgical careers, and to identify ways to sustain satisfaction with a surgical career.
The focus of this article and the keynote address is how to recognize burnout and what can be done about it. However, it is important to note that although burnout is a significant problem, the majority of surgeons are satisfied with their careers.
A 2008 survey conducted through the American College of Surgeons (ACS), yielding data from 7905 surgeons in both academic and private practice, assessed their satisfaction in their careers.1The good news is that most respondents would become a physician...
- 2.Hales RE. Physician burnout: the seeds are planted early—in the critical years of residency. Am Med News. 1981;24(suppl 3):12.Google Scholar
- 7.Maslach C, Jackson SE, Leiter MP. Maslach Burnout Inventory manual. 3rd ed. Palo Alto: Consulting Psychologists Press; 1996.Google Scholar
- 21.A Day in the Life of “Death by a Thousand Clicks.” Retrieved 8 July 2018 at http://www.arcadiasolutions.com/a-day-in-the-life-of-death-by-a-thousand-clicks.
- 24.Lencioni P. The advantage: why organizational health trumps everything else in business. 1st ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2012.Google Scholar
- 25.How Great Leaders Inspire Action. Retrieved 6 June 2018 at https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action.
- 26.Job Satisfaction Index. Retrieved 1 May 2018 at https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/928487_f752364b0a43488c8c767532c0de4926.pdf.
- 27.Gallup Organization. The state of global well-being. New York: Gallup Press.Google Scholar
- 28.Workforce Purpose Index. Retrieved 1 May 2018 at https://cdn.imperative.com/media/public/Global_Purpose_Index_2016.pdf.
- 29.National Academy of Medicine Action Collaborative on Clinician Well-Being and Resilience. Retrieved 1 May 2018 at https://nam.edu/initiatives/clinician-resilience-and-well-being/commitment-statements-clinician-well-being/.
- 33.Waldinger R. What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness. TED talks.Google Scholar
- 34.Surgeon Well-Being. Retrieved 8 July 2018 at https://www.facs.org/member-services/surgeon-wellbeing.