Improved False-Negative Rates with Intraoperative Identification of Clipped Nodes in Patients Undergoing Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy
Identification and resection of a clipped node was shown to decrease the false-negative rate (FNR) of sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) after neoadjuvant chemotherapy (NAC) for patients presenting with initially node-positive breast cancer.
Between March 2014 and March 2016, a prospective trial analyzed 98 patients with axilla-positive locally advanced breast cancer (T1-4, N1-3) to assess the feasibility and efficacy of placing clips into most suspicious biopsy-proven node. The study considered blue, radioisotope active, and suspiciously palpable nodes as sentinel lymph nodes (SLNs).
The SLN identification rate was 87.8%. The median age of the patients with an SLNB (n = 86) was 44 years (range 28–66 years). Of these patients, 77 (88.4%) had cT1-3 disease, and 10 (11.6%) had cT4 disease. The majority of the patients (n = 66, 76.7%) had cN1, whereas 21 patients (23.3%) had cN2 and cN3. A combined method was used for 37 patients (43%), whereas blue dye alone was used for the remaining patients (57%). The clipped node was the SLN in 70 patients (81.4%). For the patients with cN1 before NAC, the FNR was found to be 4.2% (1/24) when the clipped node was identified as an SLN. However, the FNR was estimated to be as high as 16.7% (1/6) for the patients with cN1 before NAC when the clipped node was found to be a non-SLN.
The study results also suggest that axillary dissection could be omitted for patients presenting initially with N1 disease and with a negative clipped node as the SLN after NAC due to the low FNR.
The study has been financially supported by the Istanbul Breast Society. The authors also thank Çiğdem Kanbesler for her secterial assistance in data retrieval.
- 1.Buzdar AU, Ibrahim NK, Francis D, et al. Significantly higher pathologic complete remission rate after neoadjuvant therapy with trastuzumab, paclitaxel, and epirubicin chemotherapy: results of a randomized trial in human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:3676–85.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Boughey JC, Ballman KV, Le-Petross HT, et al. Identification and resection of the clipped node decreases the false-negative rate of sentinel lymph node surgery in patients presenting with node positive breast cancer (T0-4, N1-2) who receive neoadjuvant chemotherapy-results from ACOSOG Z1071 (Alliance). Ann Surg. 2016;263:802–7.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.AJCC. Cancer staging handbook. Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, Fritz AG, Greene FL, Trotti A (eds) AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, 7th ed. Springer, New York, 2010.Google Scholar
- 13.Caudle AS, Yang WT, Krishnamurthy S, et al. Improved axillary evaluation following neoadjuvant therapy for patients with node-positive breast cancer using selective evaluation of clipped nodes: implementation of targeted axillary dissection. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34:1072–8.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Mittendorf EA, Caudle AS, Yang W, et al. Implementation of the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Z1071 trial data in clinical practice: is there a way forward for sentinel lymph node dissection in clinically node-positive breast cancer patients treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy? Ann Surg Oncol. 2014;21:2468–73.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Diego EJ, McAuliffe PF, Soran A, et al. Axillary staging after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: a pilot study combining sentinel lymph node biopsy with radioactive seed localization of pretreatment positive axillary lymph nodes. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1549–53.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar