Rapid reconstruction of electric potentials over an incoherent scatter radar field-of-view
A new technique is proposed for the rapid reconstruction of ionospheric electric fields from plasma drift measurements made by the Sondrestrøm incoherent scatter radar. We utilized the adaptive distribution of electric charges over and beyond of the radar field-of-view using a well-known method of regularization developed for solving the ill-posed problems. In this approach, no a priori assumptions are required concerning the regime of tangential components in the plasma drifts (i.e., radial electric fields). The test model calculations and comparisons of the reconstructed electric fields with ground-based geomagnetic field variations, global ionospheric convection modeling, and direct satellite observations demonstrate good results and, therefore, usefulness of the developed technique. This technique could be implemented as a tool for operational monitoring of the overall ionospheric convection dynamics within the incoherent (or coherent) radars field-of-view.
Key wordsGeomagnetic data ionospheric potentials electric fields
- Foster, J. C, J. M. Holt, J. D. Kelly, and V. B. Wickwar, High-resolution observations of electric fields and F-region plasma parameters in the cleft ionosphere, in The Polar Cusp, Edited by J. A. Holtet and A. Egeland, NATO ASI Series, Reidel Publishing Co., pp. 349–364, Mass., 1985.Google Scholar
- Fukushima, N., Generalized theorem for no ground magnetic effect of vertical currents connected with Pedersen currents in the uniform-conductivity ionosphere, Rep. Ionos. Space Res. Japan, 30, 35–40, 1976.Google Scholar
- Papitashvili, V. O. and F. J. Rich, High-latitude ionospheric convection models derived from Defense Meteorological Satellite Program ion drift observations and parameterized by the interplanetary magnetic field strength and direction, J. Geophys. Res., 107(A8), 10.1029/2001JA000264, 2002.Google Scholar
- Ridley, A. J. and C. R. Clauer, Characterization of the dynamical variations of the dayside high-latitude ionospheric convection reversal boundary and relationship to interplanetary magnetic field orientation, J. Geophys. Res., 104, 101, 10,919-10,938, 1996.Google Scholar
- Tikhonov, A. N. and V. Ia. Arsenin, Solution of ill-posed problems, 258 pp., Halsted Press, New York, 1977.Google Scholar