Transient absorption spectra and photochromic mechanism of schiff bases
- 43 Downloads
The transient absorption spectra of salicylideneaniline (SA) and salicylidenebenzylamine (SBA) have been investigated by means of the nanosecond laser flash photolysis. It has been found that the intermediates from the two compounds have different properties. According to the properties of the intermediates for compound SA, the primary photoproduct is a zwitterion produced by the excited singlet state, rather than a trans- keto isomer. The intermediate of compound SBA also was found to be a zwitterion, but produced not only by the excited singlet state but also by the excited triplet state. The photochromic mechanisms of the two compounds are proposed and discussed respectively.
KeywordsTransient Absorption Zwitterion Excited Singlet State Excited Triplet State Transient Species
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Hadjoudis in H. Durr and H. Bouas-Laurent (Eds.), Photochromism. Molecules and System, Studies in Organic Chemistry 40, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1990, Ch. 17, p. 685.Google Scholar
- 8.F. Wang, Y. Guo, and M. Fan, Photographic Science and Photochemistry 4, 63 (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.Y. Guo, F. Wang, and M. Fan, Acta. Physico-Chemica Sinica 7, 593 (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.F. Wang and M. Fan, Science in China (series B) 34, 559 (1991).Google Scholar
- 11.D.D. Perrin, W.L.F. Armareg, and D.K. Perrin, Purification of Laboratory Chemistry Chemicals, Pergamon Press, 1966.Google Scholar