Tree-Based Distributed Multicast Algorithms for Directional Communications and Lifetime Optimization in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
We consider the problem of maximizing the network lifetime in WANETs (wireless ad hoc networks) with limited energy resources using omnidirectional or directional antennas. Unlike most solutions that use a centralized multicast algorithm, we use graph-theoretic approach to solve the problem in a distributed manner. After providing a globally optimal solution for the special case of single multicast session using omnidirectional antenna, this approach leads us to a group of distributed algorithms for multiple multicast in WANETs using directional antennas. Experimental results show that our distributed multicast algorithms for directional communications outperform other centralized multicast algorithms significantly in terms of network lifetime for both single-session and multiple-session scenarios.
KeywordsInformation System System Application Energy Resource Network Lifetime Limited Energy
- 1.Wieselthier JE, Nguyen GD, Ephremides A: Energy-limited wireless networking with directional antennas: the case of session-based multicasting. Proceedings of IEEE 21st Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '02), June 2002, New York, NY, USA 1: 190-199.Google Scholar
- 3.Kang I, Poovendran R: On the lifetime extension of energy-efficient multihop broadcast networks. Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN '02), May 2002, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA 1: 365-370.Google Scholar
- 4.Kang I, Poovendran R: Maximizing static network lifetime of wireless broadcast ad hoc networks. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '03), May 2003, Anchorage, Alaska, USA 3: 2256-2261.Google Scholar
- 5.Das AK, Marks RJ, El-Sharkawi M, Arabshahi P, Gray A: MDLT: a polynomial time optimal algorithm for maximization of time-to-first-failure in energy constrained wireless broadcast networks. Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '03), December 2003, San Francisco, Calif, USA 1: 362-366.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Cheng MX, Sun J, Min M, Du D-Z: Energy-efficient broadcast and multicast routing in ad hoc wireless networks. Proceedings of the 22nd IEEE International Performance, Computing and Communications Conference (IPCCC '03), April 2003, Phoenix, Ariz, USA 87-94.Google Scholar
- 7.Wang B, Gupta SKS: On maximizing lifetime of multicast trees in wireless ad hoc networks. Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP '03), October 2003, Taiwan, China 333-340.Google Scholar
- 8.Floréen P, Kaski P, Kohonen J, Orponen P: Multicast time maximization in energy-constrained wireless networks. Proceedings of the Joint Workshop on Foundations of Mobile Computing, September 2003, San Diego, Calif, USA 50-58.Google Scholar
- 10.Guo S, Leung VCM, Yang OWW: A scalable distributed multicast algorithm for lifetime maximization in large-scale resource-limited multihop wireless networks. Proceedings of the International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC '06), July 2006, Vancouver, BC, Canada 419-424.Google Scholar
- 12.Guo S, Yang OWW: Formulation of optimal tree construction for maximum lifetime multicasting in wireless ad hoc networks with adaptive antennas. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '05), May 2005, Seoul, Korea 5: 3370-3374.Google Scholar
- 13.Hou YT, Shi Y, Sherali HD, Wieselthier JE: Online lifetime-centric multicast routing for ad hoc networks with directional antennas. Proceedings of IEEE the 24th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '05), March 2005, Miami, Fla, USA 1: 761-772.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Guo S, Leung VCM, Yang OWW: Distributed multicast algorithms for lifetime maximization in wireless ad hoc networks with omni-directional and directional antennas. Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '06), November-December 2006, San Francisco, Calif, USAGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.