A New Multistage Lattice Vector Quantization with Adaptive Subband Thresholding for Image Compression
- 771 Downloads
Lattice vector quantization (LVQ) reduces coding complexity and computation due to its regular structure. A new multistage LVQ (MLVQ) using an adaptive subband thresholding technique is presented and applied to image compression. The technique concentrates on reducing the quantization error of the quantized vectors by "blowing out" the residual quantization errors with an LVQ scale factor. The significant coefficients of each subband are identified using an optimum adaptive thresholding scheme for each subband. A variable length coding procedure using Golomb codes is used to compress the codebook index which produces a very efficient and fast technique for entropy coding. Experimental results using the MLVQ are shown to be significantly better than JPEG 2000 and the recent VQ techniques for various test images.
KeywordsEntropy Test Image Significant Coefficient Image Compression Code Procedure
- 6.Jeong DG, Gibson JD: Lattice vector quantization for image coding. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '89), May 1989, Glasgow, UK 3: 1743-1746.Google Scholar
- 14.Chao CC, Gray RM: Image compression with a vector speck algorithm. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '06), May 2006, Toulouse, France 2: 445-448.Google Scholar
- 15.Zaid AO, Olivier C, Marmoiton F: Wavelet image coding with adaptive dead-zone selection: application to JPEG2000. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '02), June 2002, Rochester, NY, USA 3: 253-256.Google Scholar
- 18.Senecal J, Duchaineau M, Joy KI: Length-limited variable-to-variable length codes for high-performance entropy coding. Proceedings of Data Compression Conference (DCC '04), March 2004, Snowbird, Utah, USA 389-398.Google Scholar
- 20.Gibson JD, Sayood K: Lattice quantization. In Advances in Electronics and Electron Physics. Volume 72. Edited by: Hawkes P. Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA; 1988. chapter 3Google Scholar
- 23.Salleh MFM, Soraghan J: A new multistage lattice VQ (MLVQ) technique for image compression. European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO '05), September 2005, Antalya, TurkeyGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.