Combining Wavelet Transform and Hidden Markov Models for ECG Segmentation
- 1.4k Downloads
This work aims at providing new insights on the electrocardiogram (ECG) segmentation problem using wavelets. The wavelet transform has been originally combined with a hidden Markov models (HMMs) framework in order to carry out beat segmentation and classification. A group of five continuous wavelet functions commonly used in ECG analysis has been implemented and compared using the same framework. All experiments were realized on the QT database, which is composed of a representative number of ambulatory recordings of several individuals and is supplied with manual labels made by a physician. Our main contribution relies on the consistent set of experiments performed. Moreover, the results obtained in terms of beat segmentation and premature ventricular beat (PVC) detection are comparable to others works reported in the literature, independently of the type of the wavelet. Finally, through an original concept of combining two wavelet functions in the segmentation stage, we achieve our best performances.
KeywordsMarkov Model Hide Markov Model Quantum Information Wavelet Transform Wavelet Function
- 5.Andreão RV, Dorizzi B, Cortez PC, Mota JCM: Efficient ECG multi-level wavelet classification through neural network dimensionality reduction. Proceedings of the 12th IEEE Workshop on Neural Networks for Signal Processing (NNSP '02), September 2002, Martigny, Switzerland 395-404.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Besar R, Eswaran C, Sahib S, Simpson RJ: On the choice of the wavelets for ECG data compression. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '00), June 2000, Istanbul, Turkey 6: 3614-3617.Google Scholar
- 7.Castro B, Kogan D, Geva AB: ECG feature extraction using optimal mother wavelet. Proceedings of the 21st IEEE Convention of the Electrical and ELectronic Engineers in Israel, April 2000, Tel-Aviv, Israel 346-350.Google Scholar
- 12.Bhatia P, Boudy J, Andreão RV: Wavelet transformation and pre-selection of mother wavelets for ECG signal processing. Proceedings of the 24th IASTED International Conference on Biomedical Engineering, February 2006, Innsbruck, Austria 390-395.Google Scholar
- 15.Rabiner LR, Lee CH, Juang BH, Wilpon JG: HMM clustering for connected word recognition. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '89), May 1989, Glasgow, UK 1: 405-408.Google Scholar
- 16.Laguna P, Mark RG, Goldberger A, Moody GB: A database for evaluation of algorithms for measurement of QT and other waveform intervals in the ECG. Proceedings of the 24th Annual Meeting on Computers in Cardiology (CIC '97), September 1997, Lund, Sweden 673-676.Google Scholar
- 17.ANSI/AAMI : Testing and reporting performance results of cardiac rhythm and ST segment. ANSI/AAMI EC 57-293. Arlington: AAMI, 1998, 37 pGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.