Fast Motion Estimation and Intermode Selection for H.264
- 694 Downloads
H.264/AVC provides various useful features such as improved coding efficiency and error robustness. These features enable mobile devices to adopt H.264 standard to achieve effective video communications. However, the encoder complexity is greatly increased mainly due to motion estimation (ME) and mode decision. In this paper, we propose a new scheme to jointly optimize intermode selection and ME using the multiresolution analysis. Experimental results show that the proposed method is over 3 times faster than other existing methods while maintaining the coding efficiency.
KeywordsInformation Technology Mobile Device Quantum Information Motion Estimation Fast Motion
- 3.Draft ITU-T recommendation and final draft international standard of joint video specification ITU-T recommendation, H.264/ISO/IEC 14496-10 AVC Joint Video Team (JVT) of IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, JVT-G050, March 2003Google Scholar
- 8.Chen Z, He Y: Fast Integer and Fractional Pel Motion estimation. Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, JVT-F017, December 2002Google Scholar
- 9.Sullivan G, Wiegand T, Lim KP: Joint model reference encoding methods and decoding concealment methods. Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, JVT-J049, December 2003Google Scholar
- 10.Yin P, Tourapis H-YC, Tourapis AM, Boyce J: Fast mode decision and motion estimation for JVT/H.264. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '03), September 2003, Barcelona, Spain 3: 853–856.Google Scholar
- 14.Jayant NS, Noll P: Digital Coding of Waveforms. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA; 1984.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.