High Efficiency EBCOT with Parallel Coding Architecture for JPEG2000
- 714 Downloads
This work presents a parallel context-modeling coding architecture and a matching arithmetic coder (MQ-coder) for the embedded block coding (EBCOT) unit of the JPEG2000 encoder. Tier-1 of the EBCOT consumes most of the computation time in a JPEG2000 encoding system. The proposed parallel architecture can increase the throughput rate of the context modeling. To match the high throughput rate of the parallel context-modeling architecture, an efficient pipelined architecture for context-based adaptive arithmetic encoder is proposed. This encoder of JPEG2000 can work at 180 MHz to encode one symbol each cycle. Compared with the previous context-modeling architectures, our parallel architectures can improve the throughput rate up to 25%.
KeywordsInformation Technology Computation Time High Throughput Quantum Information Block Code
- 1.Information technology—JPEG 2000 image coding system—Part 1: Core coding system, ISO/IEC 15444-1, December 2000Google Scholar
- 2.Taubman D, Marcellin M: JPEG2000: Image Compression Fundamentals, Standards, and Practice. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, The Netherlands; 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.Taubman D, Ordentlich E, Weinberger M, Seroussi G, Ueno I, Ono F: Embedded block coding in JPEG2000. In Tech. Rep. HPL-2001-35. HP Labs, Palo Alto, Calif, USA; February 2001.Google Scholar
- 11.Chen H-H, Lian C-J, Chang T-H, Chen L-G: Analysis of EBCOT decoding algorithm and its VLSI implementation for JPEG 2000. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, May 2002, Scottsdale, Ariz, USA IV: 329–332.Google Scholar
- 12.Chiang J-S, Lin Y-S, Hsieh C-Y: Efficient pass-parallel architecture for EBCOT in JPEG2000. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, May 2002, Scottsdale, Ariz, USA I: 773–776.Google Scholar
- 13.Ong K-K, Chang W-H, Tseng Y-C, Lee Y-S, Lee C-Y: A high throughput context-based adaptive arithmetic codec for JPEG2000. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, May 2002, Scottsdale, Ariz, USA 4: 133–136.Google Scholar
- 14.Wu A-Y, Liu KJR, Zhang Z, Nakajima K, Raghupathy A: Low-power design methodology for DSP systems using multirate approach. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, May 1996, Atlanta, Ga, USA 4: 292–295.Google Scholar
- 15.Chiang J-S, Chang C-H, Lin Y-S, Hsieh C-Y, Hsia C-H: High-speed EBCOT with dual context-modeling coding architecture for JPEG2000. Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, May 2004, Vancouver, BC, Canada 3: 865–868.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.