Chaos, bifurcation and intermittent phenomena in DC-DC converters under resonant parametric perturbation
- 190 Downloads
DC-DC converters act as a black box to study various bifurcations. In the present study, the influence of external periodic interference signal in the input of DC-DC voltage-mode controlled buck converter has been considered. It is found that the presence of sinusoidal or saw-tooth interference signal whose frequency is comparable with the switching frequency of the converter or its rational multiples manifests as remerging chaotic band attractors (or Feigenbaum trees) and intermittent chaos. However, the presence of sinusoidal interference signal having irrational frequency ratios with the switching frequency of the converter leads to quasi-periodic route to chaos. The study was carried out both theoretically and experimentally.
KeywordsEuropean Physical Journal Special Topic Interference Signal Switching Frequency Buck Converter Characteristic Multiplier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Banerjee, G.C. Verghese, Nonlinear phenomena in power electronics: Attractors, bifurcations, chaos and nonlinear control (IEEE Press, NY, 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.C.K. Tse, Complex behaviour of switching power converters (CRC Press, FL, 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.S. Banerjee, M.S. Karthik, G.H. Yuan, J.A. Yorke, IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I 47 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.C.K. Tse, Y. Zhou, F.C.M. Lau, S.S. Qiu, in Proceedings of the IEEE Power Electronics Specialist Conference, 2003, p. 642Google Scholar
- 5.S.C. Wong, C.K. Tse, K.C. Tam, Int. J. Bif. Chaos 14 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Zhou, C.K. Tse, S.S. Qiu, F.C.M. Lau, Int. J. Bif. Chaos 13 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Zhou, J.N. Chen, H.H.C. Iu, C.K. Tse, Int. J. Bif. Chaos 18 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.D. Giaouris, S. Banerjee, B. Zahawi, V. Pickert, IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I 55 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.M. Lakshmanan, K. Murali, Chaos in nonlinear oscillators: Controlling and synchronisation (World Scientific, Singapore, 1996)Google Scholar
- 10.P. Deivasundari, G. Uma, K. Murali, Int. J. Bif. Chaos (to be published) (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.D.C. Hamill, J.H.B. Deane, D.J. Jefferies, IEEE Trans. Power Electronics 7 (1992)Google Scholar