Nonlinear lensing mechanisms in a cloud of cold atoms
- 118 Downloads
We present an experimental study of nonlinear lensing of near-resonant light by a cloud of laser-cooled rubidium atoms, specifically aimed at understanding the role of the interaction time between the light and the atomic vapor. We identify four different nonlinear mechanisms, each associated with a different time constant: electronic nonlinearity, Zeeman optical pumping, hyperfine optical pumping and radiation pressure. Our observations can be quite accurately reproduced using a simple rate equation model which allows for a straightforward discussion of the various effects. The results are important for planning more refined experiments on transverse nonlinear optics and self-organization in samples of cold atoms.
PACS.42.65.Jx Beam trapping, self-focusing and defocusing; self-phase modulation 32.80.Pj Optical cooling of atoms; trapping 42.65.Sf Dynamics of nonlinear optical systems; optical instabilities, optical chaos and complexity, and optical spatio-temporal dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Hercher, J. Opt. Soc. Am. 54, 563 (1964) Google Scholar
- A. Gahl, J. Seipenbusch, A. Aumann, M. Möller, W. Lange, Phys. Rev. A 50, R917 (1994) Google Scholar
- P. Mandel, M. Tlidi, J. Opt. B: Quantum Semiclass. Opt. 6, R60 (2004) Google Scholar
- L.A. Lugiato, M. Brambilla, A. Gatti, Adv. A. Mol. Opt. Phys. 40, 229 (1999) Google Scholar
- H. Cao, Waves in Random Media 13, R1 (2003); S.C. Rand, C. Soukoulis, D.S. Wiersma, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 21, 98 (2004) Google Scholar
- B.A. Malomed, D. Mihalache, F. Wise, L. Torner, J. Opt. B: Quantum Semiclass. Opt. 7, R53 (2005) Google Scholar
- T. Ackemann, A. Aumann, E. Große Westhoff, Yu. A. Logvin, W. Lange, J. Opt. B: Quantum Semiclass. Opt. 3, S124 (2001) Google Scholar
- G.A. Muradyan, Y. Wang, W. Williams, M. Saffman, Absolute instability and pattern formation in cold atomic vapors, in Nonlinear Guided Waves and Their Applications (Dresden, 2005), Paper ThB29 Google Scholar
- A time constant of \(20~\mu\)s is estimated for the conditions of reference Saffman Google Scholar