Collision-energy-resolved Penning ionization electron spectroscopy of toluene and chlorotoluenes
- 60 Downloads
Stereodynamics in ionization of toluene and o-, p-chlorotoluenes by collision with He*(23S) metastable atoms were investigated by two-dimensional collision-energy/electron-energy-resolved Penning ionization electron spectroscopy. Anisotropic interactions around the molecule were studied by the collision energy dependence of partial ionization cross-sections (CEDPICS) as well as model potential calculations, and shielding effect by the methyl group was observed in CEDPICS for ionization from Cl lone-pair orbitals of o- chlorotoluene. Attractive interaction with He*(23S) around the π orbital region was found to be larger for toluene rather than o-, p- chlorotoluenes. Exterior electron density (EED) calculation of partial ionization cross-sections in Penning ionization and negative CEDPICS for ionization band observed in ca. 4 eV in electron energy indicated that π-2π+1 shake-up state was observed in Penning ionization electron spectroscopy of toluene.
PACS.34.20.-b Interatomic and intermolecular potentials and forces, potential energy surfaces for collisions 34.20.Gj Intermolecular and atom-molecule potentials and forces 34.50.Lf Chemical reactions, energy disposal, and angular distribution, as studied by atomic and molecular beams
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Niehaus, Adv. Chem. Phys. 45, 399 (1981) Google Scholar
- A.J. Yencha, Electron Spectroscopy: Theory, Technique, and Application, edited by C.R. Brundle, A.D. Baker, (Academic, New York, 1984), Vol. 5 Google Scholar
- K. Kimura, S. Katsumata, Y. Achiba, T. Yamazaki, S. Iwata, Handbook of He I Photoelectron Spectra of Fundamental Organic Molecules (Japan Scientific Press, Tokyo, 1981) Google Scholar
- L. Paling, The Nature of the Chemical Bond (Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1960) Google Scholar
- L.S. Cederbaum, W. Domcke, Adv. Chem. Phys. 36, 205 (1977); W. von Niessen, J. Schirmer, L.S. Cederbaum, Comp. Phys. Rep. 1, 57 (1984); J.V. Ortiz, J. Chem. Phys. 89, 6348 (1988); V.G. Zakrzewski, W. von Niessen, J. Comp. Chem. 14, 13 (1993) Google Scholar
- H. Hotop, Radiat. Res. 59, 379 (1974) Google Scholar
- H. Harberland, Y.T. Lee, P.E. Siska, Adv. Chem. Phys. 45, 487 (1981) Google Scholar
- H. Hotop, T.E. Roth, M.-W. Ruf, A.J. Yencha, Theor. Chem. Acc. 100, 36 (1998) Google Scholar
- M.J. Frisch et al., Gaussian 98, Revision A.9 (Gaussian Inc., Pittsburgh, PA, 1998) Google Scholar
- N. Kishimoto, Y. Osada, K. Ohno, J. Electron Spectrosc. Rel. Phen. 114-116, 183 (2001) Google Scholar