3-D numerical simulation of fully-coupled particle heating in ICPTs
Numerical simulations of the trajectory and heating history of powders injected with a carrier-gas into inductively coupled plasma torches working at atmospheric pressure have been performed in the framework of a 3-D FLUENT\(^\copyright\)-based model, taking into account the effects of coupling between particles and plasma. In this paper, we present a selection of the results obtained for different operating conditions of the torch and for different characteristics of the injected particles.
KeywordsParticle Temperature Injection Point Nickel Particle Exit Section Tungsten Particle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N.M. Dignard, M.I. Boulos, Metallic and Ceramic Powder Spheroidization by Induction Plasmas, Int. Thermal Spray Conf. (ITSC-98), Nice, France, 1998Google Scholar
- 5.D.-Y. Xu, X. Chen, K. Cheng, J. Appl. Phys. 36, 1583 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.D. Bernardi, V. Colombo, E. Ghedini, A. Mentrelli, T. Trombetti, Powders Trajectory and Thermal History Within 3-D Modelling of Inductively Coupled Plasma Torches, Proceedings of the IV International Conference Plasma Physics and Plasma Technology (PPPT-4), Minsk, Belarus, 15-19 September 2003, Vol. 2, pp. 463-464Google Scholar
- 7.D. Bernardi, V. Colombo, E. Ghedini, A. Mentrelli, T. Trombetti, Powders Trajectory and Thermal History within 3-D ICPTs Modelling for Spheroidization and Purification Purposes, Proceedings of the 48 Internationales Wissenschaftliches Kolloquium (48.IWK), Ilmenau, Deutschland, 22-25 September 2003, pp. 285-286, paper family 07\_03\_04 on CD-ROM (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.D. Bernardi, V. Colombo, E. Ghedini, A. Mentrelli, T. Trombetti, 3-D Numerical Simulation of Fully-Coupled Particle Heating in ICPTs, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Electromagnetic Processing of Materials (EPM2003), Lyon, France, 14-17 October 2003Google Scholar
- 9.D. Bernardi, V. Colombo, E. Ghedini, A. Mentrelli, T. Trombetti, 3-D Numerical Study of Particle Behavior in ICPTs, 56th Gaseous Electronics Conference (GEC03), San Fancisco, CA, USA, 21-24 October 2003Google Scholar
- 12.D. Bernardi, V. Colombo, E. Ghedini, A. Mentrelli, Three dimensional modelling of inductively coupled plasma torches, Proceedings of the 16th International Symposium on Plasma Chemistry (ISPC-16), Taormina, Italy (2003), paper family ISPC-634 on CD-ROM; Pure Appl. Chem. (in publication as invited contribution, 2004)Google Scholar
- 15.FLUENT 6.1 User’s Guide (Junuary 28, 2003), FLUENT Inc., Chapter 21: Discrete Phase Models, pp. 68-71Google Scholar