Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms for relativistic dynamics of a charged particle with dipole moment
- 156 Downloads
The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations for the relativistic classical dynamics of a charged particle with dipole moment in the presence of an electromagnetic field are given. The differential conservation laws for the energy-momentum and angular momentum tensors of a field and particle are discussed. The Poisson brackets for basic dynamic variables, which form a closed algebra, are found. These Poisson brackets enable us to perform the canonical quantization of the Hamiltonian equations that leads to the Dirac wave equation in the case of spin 1/2. It is also shown that the classical limit of the squared Dirac equation results in equations of motion for a charged particle with dipole moment obtained from the Lagrangian formulation. The inclusion of gravitational field and non-Abelian gauge fields into the proposed formalism is discussed.
KeywordsDipole Moment Charged Particle Dirac Equation Poisson Bracket Gauge Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.L.H. Thomas, Phil. Mag. 3, 1 (1927)Google Scholar
- 4.S.R. de Groot, L.G. Suttorp, Foundations of electrodynamics (North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam 1972); and references cited thereinGoogle Scholar
- 7.P. Grassberger, J. Phys. A: Math. Gen. II, 1221 (1978)Google Scholar
- 10.D.V. Volkov, A.A. Zheltukhin, Izv. Akademii Nauk USSR, Ser. Fiz. 44, 1487 (1980) [in Russian]Google Scholar
- 11.A.A. Isayev, M.Yu. Kovalevskii, S.V. Peletminskii, Fiz. Elem. Chastits. At. Yadra, 27, 431 (1996) [Phys. Part. Nuclei 27, 203 (1996)]Google Scholar
- 12.S.R. de Groot, W.A. van Leeuwen, Ch.G. van Weert, Relativistic kinetic theory. Principles and applications (North-Holland Publishing, Amsterdam 1980)Google Scholar
- 15.J. Schwinger, Quantum kinematics and dynamics (W.A. Benjamin Inc., New York 1970)Google Scholar
- 16.D.V. Volkov, S.V. Peletminskii, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 37, 170 (1959) [Sov. Phys. JETP 37, 121 (1960)]Google Scholar
- 18.W.G. Dixon, Nuovo Cimento 38, 1616 (1965)Google Scholar
- 19.G. Cognola, R. Soldati, L. Vanzo, S. Zerbini, Nuovo Cimento B 76, 109 (1983)Google Scholar