Search for anomalies in the ν e appearance from a ν μ beam
- 199 Downloads
We report an updated result from the ICARUS experiment on the search for ν μ →ν e anomalies with the CNGS beam, produced at CERN with an average energy of 20 GeV and traveling 730 km to the Gran Sasso Laboratory. The present analysis is based on a total sample of 1995 events of CNGS neutrino interactions, which corresponds to an almost doubled sample with respect to the previously published result. Four clear ν e events have been visually identified over the full sample, compared with an expectation of 6.4±0.9 events from conventional sources. The result is compatible with the absence of additional anomalous contributions. At 90 % and 99 % confidence levels, the limits to possible oscillated events are 3.7 and 8.3 respectively. The corresponding limit to oscillation probability becomes consequently 3.4×10−3 and 7.6×10−3, respectively. The present result confirms, with an improved sensitivity, the early result already published by the ICARUS Collaboration.
KeywordsSterile Neutrino Neutrino Interaction Neutrino Beam Oscillation Probability Neutrino Data
The ICARUS Collaboration acknowledges the fundamental contribution to the construction and operation of the experiment given by INFN and, in particular, by the LNGS Laboratory and its Directors. The Polish groups acknowledge the support of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education, and of National Science Centre, Poland. Finally, we thank CERN, in particular the CNGS staff, for the successful operation of the neutrino beam facility.
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and the source are credited.
- 3.G. Aquistapace et al., CERN 98-02, INFN/AE-89-05 (1998) Google Scholar
- 4.R. Bailey et al., CERN-SL/99-034 (DI), INFN/AE-99/05 Addendum (1999) Google Scholar
- 5.E. Gschwendtner et al., CERN-ATS-2010-153 (2010) Google Scholar
- 13.J.M. Conrad, C.M. Ignarra, G. Karagiorgi, M.H. Shaevitz, J. Spitz, Adv. High Energy Phys. 2013, 163897 (2013) Google Scholar
- 16.M. Antonello et al. (ICARUS Collaboration), Adv. High Energy Phys. 260820 (2013) Google Scholar
- 18.G. Battistoni et al., in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on nuclear reaction mechanisms, Varenna, Italy, June 15–19 (2009), p. 307 Google Scholar
- 26.M. Antonello et al. (ICARUS/NESSiE Collaboration), CERN-SPSC-2012-010 and SPSC-P-347 (2012) Google Scholar