Multiplicity distributions inside parton cascades developing in a medium
- 20 Downloads
The explanation of the suppression of high-pT hadron yields at RHIC in terms of jet-quenching implies that the multiplicity distributions of particles inside a jet and jet-like particle correlations differ strongly in nucleus–nucleus collisions at RHIC or at the LHC from those observed at e+e- or hadron colliders. We present a framework for describing the medium-induced modification, which has a direct interpretation in terms of a probabilistic medium-modified parton cascade, and which treats leading and subleading partons on an equal footing. We show that our approach can account for the strong suppression of single inclusive hadron spectra measured in Au–Au collisions at RHIC, and that this implies a characteristic distortion of the single inclusive distribution of soft partons inside the jet. We determine, as a function of the jet energy, to what extent the soft fragments within a jet can be measured above some momentum cut.
KeywordsParton Shower Multiplicity Distribution Nucleus Collision Parton Energy Loss Parton Cascade
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.M. Gyulassy, I. Vitev, X.-N. Wang, B.W. Zhang, in: Quark Gluon Plasma III (World Scientific, Singapore, 2004), p. 123Google Scholar
- 4.A. Kovner, U.A. Wiedemann, in: Quark Gluon Plasma III (World Scientific, Singapore, 2004), p. 192Google Scholar
- 10.M. López-Noriega, these proceedingsGoogle Scholar
- 11.N. Borghini, U.A. Wiedemann, hep-ph/0506218Google Scholar
- 14.A. Majumder, E. Wang, X.-N. Wang, nucl-th/0412061Google Scholar
- 17.Y.L. Dokshitzer, V.A. Khoze, S.I. Troian, Adv. Ser. Direct. High Energ. Phys. 5, 241 (1988)Google Scholar