Uniaxially anisotropic antiferromagnets in a field on a square lattice
- 105 Downloads
Classical uniaxially anisotropic Heisenberg and XY antiferromagnets in a field along the easy axis on a square lattice are analysed, applying ground state considerations and Monte Carlo techniques. The models are known to display antiferromagnetic and spin-flop phases. In the Heisenberg case, a single-ion anisotropy is added to the XXZ antiferromagnet, enhancing or competing with the uniaxial exchange anisotropy. Its effect on the stability of non-collinear structures of biconical type is studied. In the case of the anisotropic XY antiferromagnet, the transition region between the antiferromagnetic and spin-flop phases is found to be dominated by degenerate bidirectional fluctuations. The phase diagram is observed to resemble closely that of the XXZ antiferromagnet without single-ion anisotropy.
PACS.68.35.Rh Phase transitions and critical phenomena 75.10.Hk Classical spin models 05.10.Ln Monte Carlo methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- U. Ammerahl, B. Büchner, C. Kerpen, R. Gross, A. Revcolevschi, Phys. Rev. B 62, R3592 (2000) Google Scholar
- M. Uehara, N. Motoyama, M. Matsuda, H. Eisaki, J. Akimitsu, in Frontiers in Magnetic Materials, editedy by A.V. Narlikar (Springer, 2005) Google Scholar
- W. Selke, M. Holtschneider, R. Leidl, S. Wessel, G. Bannasch, in Computer Simulation Studies in Condensed Matter Physics XXI, edited by D.P. Landau, S.P. Lewis, H. B. Schüttler (Springer, 2008) Google Scholar
- R. van de Kamp, M. Steiner, H. Tietze-Jaensch, Physica B 241-243, 570 (1997) Google Scholar
- L. Néel, Ann. Phys.-Paris 5, 232 (1936) Google Scholar
- M. Holtschneider, Ph.D. thesis, RWTH Aachen (2007) Google Scholar
- D.P. Landau, private communication Google Scholar