Agreement dynamics of finite-memory language games on networks
- 95 Downloads
We propose a Finite-Memory Naming Game (FMNG) model with respect to the bounded rationality of agents or finite resources for information storage in communication systems. We study its dynamics on several kinds of complex networks, including random networks, small-world networks and scale-free networks. We focus on the dynamics of the FMNG affected by the memory restriction as well as the topological properties of the networks. Interestingly, we found that the most important quantity, the convergence time of reaching the consensus, shows some non-monotonic behaviors by varying the average degrees of the networks with the existence of the fastest convergence at some specific average degrees. We also investigate other main quantities, such as the success rate in negotiation, the total number of words in the system and the correlations between agents of full memory and the total number of words, which clearly explain the nontrivial behaviors of the convergence. We provide some analytical results which help better understand the dynamics of the FMNG. We finally report a robust scaling property of the convergence time, which is regardless of the network structure and the memory restriction.
PACS.89.75.-k Complex systems 05.65.+b Self-organized systems 89.65.Ef Social organizations; anthropology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Marro, P.L. Garrido, M.A. Muñoz Eds., AIP Conf. Proc. 779, Granada, Spain (2005); W. Weidlich, Sociodynamics; A Systematic Approach to Mathematical Modelling in Social Sciences, Harwood Academic Publishers (2000); D. Stauffer, S.M. Moss de Oliveira, P. Murilo Castro de Oliveira, J. Simoes de Sá Martins, Biology, Sociology, Geology by Computational Physicists (Elsevier Science, 2006) Google Scholar
- Game Theory and its Applications in the Social and Biological Sciences, (Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1995); R. Axelrod, The Evolution of Cooperation (Basic Books, New York, 1984); The Economics of Rights, Co-operation and Welfare (Blackwell, Oxford, U.K., 1986) Google Scholar
- L. Steels, Evol. Commun. 1, 1 (1997); S. Kirby, Artif. Life 8, 185C215 (2002); D.J. Barr, Cogn. Sci. 28, 937 (2004) Google Scholar
- M. Nowak, R.M. May, Nature 359, 826 (1992); M. Nowak, K. Sigmund, Nature 355, 250 (1992); 364, 1 (1993); M. Doebeli, N. Knowlton, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95, 8676 (1998); T. Killingback, M. Doebeli, N. Knowlton, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266, 1723 (1999); T. Killingback, M. Doebeli, Journal of Theoretical Biology 191, Issue 3, 335 (1998); G. Szabó, C. Hauert, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 118101 (2002); G. Abramson, M. Kuperman, Phys. Rev. E 63, 030901(R) (2001); B.J. Kim et al., Phys. Rev. E 66, 021907 (2002); Z.-X. Wu, X.-J. Xu, Y. Chen, Y.-H. Wang, Phys. Rev. E 71, 037103 (2005); F.C. Santos, J. M. Pacheco, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 098104 (2005); W.-X. Wang, J. Ren, G. Chen, B.-H. Wang, Phys. Rev. E 74, 056113 (2006); Z.-X. Wu, X.-J. Xu, Z.-G. Huang, S.-J. Wang, Y.-H. Wang, Phys. Rev. E 74, 021107 (2006); Z.-X. Wu, Y.-H. Wang, Phys. Rev. E 75, 041114 (2007); J. Ren, W.-X. Wang, F. Qi, Phys. Rev. E 75, 045101(R) (2007); C.-L. Tang, W.-X. Wang, X. Wu, B.-H.Wang, Eur. Phys. J. B 53, 411 (2006) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- C. Cattuto, V. Loreto, L. Pietronero, preprint cs.CY/0605015; S.A. Golder, B.A. Huberman, arxiv:cs.DL/0508082 (2005) Google Scholar
- K. Sznajd-Weron, J. Sznajd, Int. J. Mod. Phys. C 11, 1157 (2000); G. Deffuant, D. Neau, F. Amblard, G. Weisbuch, Adv. Complex Syst. 3, 87 (2000); R. Hegselmann, U. Krause, J. Artif. Soc. Soc. Simul. 5, 2 (2002); P.L. Krapivsky, S. Redner, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 238701 (2003); R. Axelrod, J. Conflict Resolut. 41, 203 (1997); P.-P. Li, D.-F. Zheng, P.M. Hui, Phys. Rev. E 73, 056128 (2006) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- A. Baronchelli, M. Felici, E. Caglioti, V. Loreto, L. Steels, J. Stat. Mech.: Theory Exp. 2006, P06014 Google Scholar
- A. Baronchelli, L. DallAsta, A. Barrat, V. Loreto, e-print arXiv:cond-mat/0611717 Google Scholar
- I. Dornic, H. Chaté, J. Chave, H. Hinrichsen, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 045701 (2001); C. Castellano, D. Vilone, A. Vespignani, Europhys. Lett. 63, 153 (2003); D. Boyer, O. Miramontes, Phys. Rev. E 67, 035102(R) (2003); K. Suchecki, V.M. Eguiluz, M. San Miguel, Phys. Rev. E 72, 036132 (2005) CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- B.-Y. Lin, J. Ren, H.-J. Yang, B.-H. Wang, e-print arXiv:physics/0607001 Google Scholar