On thermodynamic stability of heteropolymer mesophases formed under weak segregation regime
- 29 Downloads
Conditions of local and global thermodynamic stability of spatially-periodic mesophases formed in an incompressible melt of binary monodisperse copolymers with molecules of arbitrary chemical structure are theoretically scrutinized. For the first time a bifurcation analysis of the Landau free energy in the first harmonic approximation is carried out. Based upon this analysis, feasible scenarios of bifurcation and phase transitions between mesophases of different morphology are discussed. The description of thermodynamic behavior of some systems is presented to exemplify the implementation of the approach proposed.
PACS.02.30.Oz Bifurcation theory 64.10.+h General theory of equations of state and phase equilibria 82.35.Jk Copolymers, phase transitions, structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- I.W. Hamley, The Physics of Block Copolymers (Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, New York, 1998) Google Scholar
- H. Hasegawa, T. Hashimoto, in Comprehensive Polymer Science, Second Suppl., edited by G. Allen (Pergamon Press, 1996) Chap. 14 p. 497 Google Scholar
- G.H. Fredrickson, The Equilibrium Theory of Inhomogeneous Polymers (Clanderon Press, Oxford, 2006) Google Scholar
- S.I. Kuchanov, S.V. Panyukov, in Comprehensive Polymer Science, Second Suppl., edited by G. Allen (Pergamon Press, 1996) Chap. 13 p. 441 Google Scholar
- M. Nonomura, K. Yamada, T. Ohta, J. Phys. Cond. Mat. 15, L423 (2003) Google Scholar
- Y. Smirnova, I. Erukhimovich, G. ten Brinke, Polym. Sci. A 47, 430 (2005) Google Scholar
- J.C. Toledano, P. Toledano, The Landau Theory of Phase Transitions (World Scientific, Singapore, 1987) Google Scholar
- I.Ya. Erukhimovich, A.V. Dobrynin, Macromol. Symp. 81, 253 (1994) Google Scholar
- Being interested in obtaining the bifurcation scenario realized at the increasing τ, one should consider instead of the orgraph portrayed in Figure [SEE TEXT] another one obtained from the former by the replacement of all arcs by those aligned in opposite direction Google Scholar
- Phases of the transient states are not specified in Table [SEE TEXT] deliberately, since they coincide with the phases of the minima which are extreme points of the path on which this state is locate Google Scholar