Ground states of an extended Falicov-Kimball model
- 46 Downloads
We present a non-perturbative study of an extended Falicov-Kimball model in one dimension. Working within the binary alloy interpretation, we include the spin of the itinerant electrons and a Hubbard interaction to model the inter-electron correlations. We derive an effective Ising model for the atomic configuration in order to show how the Hubbard term affects the stability of the phase separated states. Furthermore, we investigate the competition between the Mott insulator state of the itinerant electrons and the checkerboard phase of the spinless Falicov-Kimball model.
PACS.71.10.Fd Lattice fermion models (Hubbard model, etc.) 71.30.+h Metal-insulator transitions and other electronic transitions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- F. Ducastelle, Order and Phase Stability in Alloys (North-Holland, New York, 1991) Google Scholar
- T. Giamarchi, Quantum Physics in One Dimension (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2003) Google Scholar
- It is interesting to note that a similar effect is responsible for the ferromagnetic phases in the doped 1D Kondo lattice model G04 Google Scholar
- L.I. Schiff, Quantum Mechanics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1955) Google Scholar
- R.E. Peierls, Quantum Theory of Solids (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1955) Google Scholar