Vortex pinning in superconducting Nb thin films deposited on nanoporous alumina templates
- 155 Downloads
We present a study of magnetization and transport properties of superconducting Nb thin films deposited on nanoporous aluminium oxide templates. Periodic oscillations in the critical temperature vs. field, matching effects in fields up to 700 mT and strongly enhanced critical currents were observed. These fields are considerably higher than those typical for periodic pinning arrays made by lithographic techniques, which reflects the benefits of nanostructuring superconductors by using self-organized growth. This method provides a periodic pinning potential with sub-100 nm spacing between the pinning centers, which enhances vortex pinning in broad field and temperature ranges.
PACS.74.25.Qt Vortex lattices, flux pinning, flux creep 74.78.Na Mesoscopic and nanoscale systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V.V. Moshchalkov, V. Bruyndoncx, L. Van Look, M.J. Van Bael, Y. Bruynseraede, in Handbook of Nanostructured Materials and Nanotechnology, edited by H.S. Nalwa (Academic Press, San Diego, 2000), 3, Chap. 9 Google Scholar
- J.P. O'Sullivan, G.C. Wood, Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A 317, 511 (1970) Google Scholar
- R.D. Parks, W.A. Little, Phys. Rev. 133, A97–A103 (1964) Google Scholar
- M. Tinkham, Introduction to Superconductivity (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1975) Google Scholar
- V.V. Schmidt, The Physics of Superconductors, edited by P. Müller and A.V. Ustinov (Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg, 1997) Google Scholar
- W. Buckel, Supraleitung, 3rd edn. (Physik-Verlag, Weinheim, 1984) Google Scholar
- A. Terentiev, D.B. Watkins, L.E. De Long, L.D. Cooley, D.J. Morgan, J.B. Ketterson, Phys. Rev. B 61, R9249 (2000); S. Hébert, L. Van Look, L. Weckhuysen, V.V. Moshchalkov, Phys. Rev. B 67, 224510 (2003) Google Scholar
- G.S. Mkrtchyan, V.V. Shmidt, Sov. Phys. JETP 34, 195 (1972) Google Scholar