Acoustic phonon dynamics in strained cubic and hexagonal GaN/Al2O3 superlattices
- 80 Downloads
We study the acoustic-phonon spectra in periodic and quasiperiodic (Fibonacci type) superlattices made up from III–V nitride materials (GaN) intercalated by sapphire (Al2O3). Due to the misalignments between the sapphire and the GaN layers that can lead to threading dislocation densities as high as 108-1010 cm-1, and a significant lattice mismatch (~14%), the phonon dynamics is described beyond the continuum elastic model using coupled elastic and electromagnetic equations, stressing the importance of the piezoelectric polarization field in a strained condition. We use a transfer-matrix treatment to simplify the algebra, which would be otherwise quite complicated, allowing a neat analytical expressions for the phonon dispersion relation. Furthermore, a quantitative analysis of the localization and magnitude of the allowed band widths in the phonon's spectra, as well as their scale law and the parametric spectrum of singularities f(α), are presented and discussed.
PACS.63.20.Pw Localized modes 63.22.+m Phonons or vibrational states in low-dimensional structures and nanoscale materials 68.65.Cd Superlattices 71.55.Eq III-V semiconductors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. Gil, Group III Nitride Semiconductor Compounds (Clarendon, Oxford, 1998) Google Scholar
- K.H. Ploog, O. Brandt, H. Yang, T. Trampert, Thin Solid Films, 306, 231 (1997) Google Scholar
- E.L. Albuquerque, M.G. Cottam, Polaritons in Periodic and Quasiperiodic Structures (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2004) Google Scholar
- S.N. Zhu, Y.Y. Zhu, N.B. Ming, Science 27, 8843 (1997) Google Scholar
- F. Bernardini, V. Fiorentini, D. Vanderbilt, Phys. Rev. B 56, R10024 (1997) Google Scholar
- F. Garcia-Moliner, Ann. Phys. 2, 179 (1977) Google Scholar
- A. Nougaoui, B. Djafari-Rouhani, Surf. Sci. 185, 154 (1987) Google Scholar
- B.A. Auld, Acoustic Fields and Waves in Solids (R.E. Krieger Publish Company, Malabar, Fl, 1990), Vols. 1 and 2 Google Scholar
- J.F. Nye, Physical Properties of Crystals (Clarendon, Oxford, 1985) Google Scholar