Multiple-frequency current oscillations in GaAs-AlGaAs quantum wells containing a thin semi-insulating layer
- 40 Downloads
We have investigated non-equilibrium electron transport properties of a quantum well with an inserted thin semi-insulating potential barrier layer in nonlinear bias using a time-dependent simulation technique. We find that the charge redistribution with time in the whole structure has an important effect on the final current-voltage (I-V) curves. The results show that there are two evident current hysteresis phenomena in the negative differential conductance regions and the inserted semi-insulating potential barrier layer induces the formation of multiple emitter quantum wells, which leads to high-frequency terahertz current oscillations with multiple-frequency relations around the valley of current.
KeywordsNeural Network Electron Transport Nonlinear Dynamics Transport Property Simulation Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Ikeda, M. Iwasaki, Y. Ishikawa, M. Tabe, Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 1456 (2003) Google Scholar
- Z. Barticevic, P. Vargas, M. Pacheco, D. Altbir, Phys. Rev. B 68, 155306 (2003) Google Scholar
- P.M. Martin, S.A. Ahmad, F.W. Sheardt et al., Semicond. Sci. Technol. 9, 493 (1994) Google Scholar
- K.L. Jensen, F.A. Buot, Phys. Rev. Lett. 66, 1079 (1991) Google Scholar
- Z. Dai, J. Ni, Eur. Phys. J. B 45 129 (2005) Google Scholar