Stabilization of magnetic polarons in antiferromagnetic semiconductors by extended spin distortions
- 47 Downloads
We study the problem of a magnetic polaron in an one-dimensional antiferromagnetic semiconductor (ferron). We obtain an analytical solution for the distortion produced in the antiferromagnetic structure due to the presence of a charge carrier bound to an impurity. The region in which the charge carrier is trapped is of the order of the lattice constant (small ferron) but the distortion of the magnetic structure extends over a much larger distance. It is shown that the presence of this distortion makes the ferron more stable, and introduces a new length scale in the problem.
KeywordsCharge Carrier Large Distance Magnetic Structure Ferron Magnetic Polaron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E.L. Nagaev, Physics of magnetic semiconductors, 1st edn. (Mir, Moscow, 1983)Google Scholar
- 3.E.L. Nagaev, Colossal magnetoresistance and phase separation in magnetic semiconductors, 1st edn. (Imperial College Press, London, 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.E. Dagotto, Nanoscale phase separation and colossal magnetoresistance: the physics of manganites and related compounds, 1st edn. (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2003)Google Scholar
- 11.P.G. De Gennes, Phys. Rev. 118, 13 (1960)Google Scholar
- 13.L. Néel, Ann. Phys. 2, 61 (1967)Google Scholar
- 16.A.O. Sboychakov, A.L. Rakhmanov, K.I. Kugel (private communication)Google Scholar
- 17.An exact solution for the full electronic Hamiltonian is avaliable, but we prefer to use this approximation, by proposes of clarity. The exact solution can not be used in the analytical approach we made hereGoogle Scholar
- 18.Note that this is a two site problem, and therefore no additional phases are neededGoogle Scholar
- 19.As t does not enter in the equation to determine the magnetic structure (3), its numerical value is set to zero. Here it is shown only for completeness. Also for the double exchange case, one has to change L by t/2, and converselyGoogle Scholar