Non-extensive resonant reaction rates in astrophysical plasmas
We study two different physical scenarios of thermonuclear reactions in stellar plasmas proceeding through a narrow resonance at low energy or through the low-energy wing of a wide resonance at high energy. Correspondingly, we derive two approximate analytical formulae in order to calculate thermonuclear resonant reaction rates inside very coupled and non-ideal astrophysical plasmas in which non-extensive effects are likely to arise. Our results are presented as simple first-order corrective factors that generalize the well-known classical rates obtained in the framework of Maxwell-Boltzmann statistical mechanics. As a possible application of our results, we calculate the dependence of the total corrective factor with respect to the energy at which the resonance is located, in an extremely dense and non-ideal carbon plasma.
KeywordsCorrective Factor Statistical Mechanic Wide Resonance Analytical Formula Narrow Resonance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.S. Balberg, S. Shapiro, The properties of matter in white dwarfs and neutron stars, in Handbook of Elastic Properties, edited by H. Bass, V. Keppens, M. Levy, R. Raspet (Academic Press, New York, 2003).Google Scholar
- 7.E.G. Adelberger et al. , Rev. Mod. Phys. 70, 4 (1998).Google Scholar
- 8.D.D. Clayton, Principles of Stellar Evolution and Nucleosynthesis (University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1968).Google Scholar
- 9.LUNA Collaboration (A. Formicola et al. ), nucl-ex/0312015.Google Scholar
- 10.C.E. Rolfs, W.S. Rodney, Cauldrons in the Cosmos (Chicago Press, Chicago, 1988).Google Scholar
- 11.M.S. Hussein, M. Ueda, A.J. Sargeant, M.P. Pato, nucl-th/0307083.Google Scholar
- 12.D.D. Clayton, E. Dwek, M.J. Newman, R.J. Talbot jr., Astrophys. J. 199, 194 (1975).Google Scholar
- 13.M. Coraddu et al. , Braz. J. Phys. 29, 153 (1999).Google Scholar
- 14.J.M. Blatt, V.F. Weisskopf, Theoretical Nuclear Physics (Dover, New York, 1991).Google Scholar
- 15.C. Tsallis, Braz. J. Phys. 29, 1 (1999).Google Scholar
- 16.M. Gell-Mann, C. Tsallis (Editors), Non-extensive Entropy - Interdisciplinary Applications (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2003).Google Scholar