Improving the convergence of the chiral expansion for nuclear forces - II: Low phases and the deuteron
- 117 Downloads
Recently, we have proposed a new cut-off scheme for pion loop integrals in the two-pion exchange potential. This method allows for a consistent implementation of constraints from pion-nucleon scattering and has been successfully applied to peripheral nucleon-nucleon partial waves. We now consider low partial waves in the non-perturbative regime, where the regularized Lippmann-Schwinger equation has to be solved in order to generate the bound and scattering states. We observe an improved description of most of the phase shifts when going from next-to- to next-to-next-to-leading order in the chiral expansion. We also find a good description of the deuteron properties. In addition, the new cut-off scheme allows to avoid the presence of unphysical deeply bound states. We discuss the cut-off dependence of the four-nucleon low-energy constants and show that their numerical values can be understood in terms of resonance saturation. This connects the effective field theory approach to boson exchange phenomenology.
KeywordsPartial Wave Effective Field Theory Loop Integral Chiral Expansion Resonance Saturation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Epelbaum, W. Glöckle, U.-G. Meißner, Eur. Phys. J. A 19, 125 (2003).Google Scholar
- 5.E. Epelbaum, U.-G. Meißner, W. Glöckle, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 6.V. Bernard, Th.R. Hemmert, U.-G. Meißner, hep-ph/0307115.Google Scholar
- 9.P. Lepage, nucl-th/9706029.Google Scholar
- 14.M.C.M. Rentmeester, private communication (1999).Google Scholar
- 15.J.J. de Swart, C.P.F. Terheggen, V.G.J. Stoks, nucl-th/9509032.Google Scholar
- 19.R. Machleidt, Adv. Nucl. Phys. 19, 189 (1989).Google Scholar
- 22.D. R. Entem, R. Machleidt, arXiv:nucl-th/0304018.Google Scholar