Modern small business in Russia
The tendencies of small business development in Russia in 2008–2010 are shown. A comparison of the level of its development with the international experience shows a significant gap between Russia and other countries. Negative changes prevailing in the crisis and post-crisis period compared to 2000–2008 are identified in the level of activity, sectoral structure of small business and employment. Small business in Russia is mostly developed in the highly urbanized regions with large agglomerations and maritime transit border regions, it lags behind in areas with low income and high investment risks. High concentration and regional and interregional disparities of development are revealed. Measures of the Government of Russian Federation in 2009 to support small businesses are evaluated, and its promotion in the regions there small business had already reached a relatively high level is shown. The correlation between indicators of small business development and of its state support in the Russian regions has shown a low effectiveness of measures taken.
Keywordssmall business the dynamics of development regional specifics industrial structure security employment regional disparities the government support
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eroshin, A.M., Export Potential Small- and Medium-Size Businesses in Russia and Measurements of State Support. http://www.aisme.ru/doc/080705-Article-1.pdf.
- 2.Kreidenko, T.F. and Mironova, M.N., Modern Regional Peculiarities of the Development of Small-Size Enterprises in Russia, Regional’nye Issledovaniya, 2010, no. 3, pp. 84–93Google Scholar
- 3.Borisov, S.R., A Role of the Small Business in Development of Industry and Technologies, A Report on the Forum “Opory Rossii”. http://www.opora.ru/files/Actual-topic/Forum-2007/Borisov-forum-2007-doklad.pdf.
- 4.Preliminary Results of the Total Observation of Activities of the Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in 2010. http://www.gks.ru. Accesses on June 8, 2012.
- 5.Maloe i srednee predprinimatel’stvo v Rossii, Statisticheskii sbornik 2009 (Small- and Medium-Size Enterprises in Russia: Statistical Handbook, 2009), Moscow, 2009.Google Scholar
- 6.Bondarenko, V.A., Ioffe, A.D., and Nagin, V.N., General Characteristics of the Systems of State-Public Support and Development of the Small- and Medium-Size Enterprises in Foreign Countries. http://www.giac.ru.
- 7.Small Business and State Support of a Sector, Informational-Analytic Report of the National Institute of Complex Studies of the Problems of Business. http://smb.gov.ru/content/statistic/analytics/m,f,310769/.
- 8.A Report of Nabiullina E.S., Minister of Economic Development and Trade of Russian Federation, at the All-Russian Forum “Small- and Medium-Size Businesses are the Basis of the Social-Economic Development of Russia in XXI Century,” 2008. http://www.economy.gov.ru/minec/press/news/doc1211808923151. Accessed on August 28, 2008.
- 9.Bosareva, V.G., State Support of the Small Business: A Help or Institutional Trap? in XI Mezhdunarodnaya nauchnaya konferentsiya GU VSHE po problemam razvitiya ekonomiki i obshchestva (The XI International Academic Conference of Higher School of Economy on Economic and Social Development), Moscow, 2011, pp. 171–179.Google Scholar
- 10.Regiony Rossii. Sotsial’nye-ekonomicheskie pokazateli, Statisticheskii sbornik, 2011 (Regions of Russia. Social-Economic Indicators, 2011: Statistical Handbook), Moscow: Rosstat, 2011.Google Scholar
- 11.Regiony Rossii. Sotsial’nye-ekonomicheskie pokazateli gorodov. 2011 g.: Statisticheskii sbornik (Regions of Russia. Social-Economic Indexes of the Cities, 2011: Statistic Handbook), Moscow: Rosstat, 2011.Google Scholar
- 12.Social Atlas of Russian Regions, a Review. http://www.socpol.ru/atlas/overviews/labor_market/index.shtml.