The Advisability of Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy of Rectal Cancer in Geriatric Patients
- 7 Downloads
A comparative analysis of the efficacy and safety of neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy (CRT) in colorectal- cancer patients older and younger than 60 years was performed. It has been determined that the risk of complications of neoadjuvant CRT, as well as the degree of its adverse effect on the outcomes of subsequent surgical treatment, does not significantly depend on the age of the patients. However, the application of preoperative CRT in geriatric patients is associated with a less significant increase in disease-free survival compared with younger patients. Thus, the factor of age should not restrict the use of neoadjuvant CRT in patients with satisfactory general somatic status and the absence of severe complications of the tumor process.
Keywordsgeriatric patients rectal cancer neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gordeev, S.S., Rasupov, A.O., Barsukov, Yu.A., et al., The possibility to narrow the indications for preoperative radiotherapy in patients with rectal cancer?, Koloproktologiya, 2014, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 39–47.Google Scholar
- 2.Erygin, D.V., Berdov, B.A., and Nevol’skikh, A.A., Neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy of local rectal cancer, Onkologiya, 2015, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 13–20.Google Scholar
- 3.Kaprin, A.D., Starinskii, V.V., and Petrova, G.V., Zlokachestvennye novoobrazovaniya v Rossii v 2015 godu (zabolevaemost’ i smertnost’) (The Rates of Cases and Mortality Due to Malignant Neoplasms in Russia in 2015), Moscow: Mosk. Nauchno-Issled. Onkol. Inst. im. P.A. Gertsena, 2017.Google Scholar
- 4.Maistrenko, N.A., Khvatov, A.A., Sazonov, A.A., and Petrov, S.N., Preventive colostomy in the planned surgery of patients with rectal cancer, Vestn. Khir., 2015, no. 4, pp. 24–30.Google Scholar
- 5.Cherdantsev, D.V., Pozdnyakov, A.A., Shpak, V.V., et al., The inconsistency of colorectal anastomosis. Current state of the problem: a review, Koloproktologiya, 2015, no. 4, pp. 57–62.Google Scholar
- 7.Goi, T., Kawasaki, M., Inoue, T., et al., Clinicopathological analysis of colorectal cancers in the elderly, Intern. Surg., 2009, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 189–195.Google Scholar
- 8.Ciara, R., Boselli, D., Hill, J.S., and Salo, J.C., Optimal timing of surgical resection after radiation therapy in locally advanced rectal adenocarcinoma: an analysis of the National Cancer Database (NCDB), J. Clin. Oncol., 2015, vol. 33, p. 510.Google Scholar