Comparison of morphofunctional features of the ventral hippocampus in adult and old rats after combined stress
Animals were exposed to 7 days of combined stress in a special device consisting of six isolated compartments of similar volumes. During the 30-min exposure, the stressors of various modalities, including pulse lighting, heavy sound, and vibration, were presented and stochastically changed every 5 min. This treatment was coincided with restraint and elevated temperature in the compartments. We observed more severe dystrophic lesion and highly expressed inducible nitric oxide synthase in neurons of the pyramidal layer of the CA3 field, signs of impaired blood flow, perivascular edema, and decreased expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells of the microvasculature, and lower expression of serine racemase in neuropil of the radial layer of the CA1 field in the ventral hippocampi after the exposure of 24-month-old rats to combined stress as compared to adult 12-month-old rats.
Keywordshippocampus stress aging iNOS eNOS serine racemase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Volotova, E.V., Kurkin, D.V., Bakulin, D.A., et al., The effect of phenibut on memory and behavior of different-age rats affected by 7-day combined stress, Vestn. Volgograd. Gos. Med. Univ., 2014, no. 1, pp. 23–25.Google Scholar
- 2.Gudoshnikov, V.I., Role of glucocorticoids in aging and age-dependent pharmacological therapy, Usp. Gerontol., 2011, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 48–53.Google Scholar
- 3.Malyshev, I.Yu. and Manukhina, E.B., Stress-limiting system of nitrogen oxide, Ross. Fiziol. Zh. im. I.M. Sechenova, 2000, no. 10, pp. 1283–1292.Google Scholar
- 4.Smirnov, A.V., Tyurenkov, I.N., Shmidt, M.V., et al., Morphological changes of hypocamp of old rates caused by stress, Vestn. Volgograd. Gos. Med. Univ., 2013, no. 2, pp. 14–17.Google Scholar
- 5.Khovryakov, A.V., Podrezova, E.P., Kruglyakov, P.P., et al., Role of NO-synthase system in reactions of brain on stress, Morfologiya, 2009, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 7–11.Google Scholar
- 8.De Kloet, E.R., Vreugdenhil, E., Oitzl, M.S., and Joëls, M., Brain corticosteroid receptor balance in health and disease, Endocrinol. Rev., 1998, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 269–301.Google Scholar