Structurization and moisture absorption features of epoxy nanocomposites with carbon nanotubes
Epoxy compositions cured in various temperature–time modes are studied by thermal analysis methods before and after modification by functionalized carbon nanotubes (FCNT). In the conditions where a formed network is not uniform and, thus, is characterized by a wide variety of different structural elements with different segmental mobility, the modification of epoxy resins leads to networks with less defects. In this case, the moisture sorption of the modified samples is lower as compared to the unmodified matrix. In the case where the selected temperature–time mode provides less defective networks in the starting sample, the moisture absorption of the modified sample is higher as compared to the unmodified one. It is shown that the mechanism of plasticizing of the FCN modified binders at moisture saturation depends on the mode of curing, differs from that of the unmodified samples, and requires further investigation.
Keywordscarbon nanotubes aging epoxy nanocomposite thermal properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Kirillov, V.N., Kavun, N.S., Rakitina, V.P., Deev, I.S., Topunova, T.Je., Efimov, V.A., and Mazaev, P.Ju., Investigation of the effect of heat and humidity effects on the properties of epoxy fiberglass laminate, Plastich. Massy, 2008, no. 9, pp. 14–17.Google Scholar
- 8.Kirillov, V.N., Efimov, V.A., Shvedkova, A.K., and Nikolaev, E.V., Investigation of the influence of climatic factors and mechanical loading on the structure and mechanical properties of the PCM, Aviats. Mater. Tekhnol., 2011, no. 4, pp. 41–45.Google Scholar
- 9.Kablov, E.N., Startsev, O.V., Krotov, A.S., and Kirillov, V.N., Climatic aging of composite aviation materials: I. Aging mechanisms, Russian Metallurgy (Metally), 2011, pp. 993–1000.Google Scholar
- 10.Guadagno, L., De Vivo, B., Di Bartolomeo, A., Lamberti, P., Sorrentino, A., Tucci, V., Vertuccio, L., and Vittoria, V., Effect of functionalization on the thermomechanical and electrical behavior of multi-wall carbon nanotube/epoxy composites, Carbon, 2011, vol. 49, pp. 1919–1930.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Akatenkov, R.V., Kondrashov, S.V., Fokin, A.S., and Marahovskiy, P.S., Polymer network formation features over the curing processes of epoxy oligomers with fuctionalized nanotubes, Aviats. Mater. Tekhnol., 2011, no. 2, pp. 31–37.Google Scholar