Synthesis of new structures in dense deuterium gas and deuterated palladium under nuclear reactions induced by γ quanta
- 24 Downloads
Effects of the change in chemical composition of initially pure Pd (99.997%) and formation of a new product after γ irradiation (8.8 MeV) of a Pd target in a gaseous deuterium environment are ascertained experimentally. A phenomenological model is presented to explain the observed effects by means of the chain reactions of fusion of light nuclei and Pd nuclear fission into lighter products due to photodisintegration of deuterons on neutrons and protons, and nuclear reactions with heating and fusion of deuterium nuclei. Similar reactions in dense deuterium gas or deuterated metals could serve as the basis for the creation of a fundamentally new deuterated fission/fusion reactor.
Keywordsgamma quanta dense deuterium gas deuterons neutrons protons fusion reactions fission reactions chain reaction of deuterium heating chemical composition scanning electron microscopy microelemental analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Subbotin, M.L., Kurbatov, D.K., and Filimonova, E.A., Review of demonstration fusion reactor study, Vopr. At. Nauki Tekhn., Ser.: Termoyadernyi Sintez, 2010, no. 3, pp. 55–74.Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, F.F., Introduction to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion. Vol. 1. Plasma Physics, Berlin: Springer, 2006.Google Scholar
- 3.Miyamoto, K., Osnovy fiziki plazmy i upravlyaemogo termoyadernogo sinteza (Foundations of Plasma Physics and Controlled Nuclear Fusion), Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2007.Google Scholar
- 4.Ishkhanov, B.A. and Kapitonov, I.M., Vzaimodeistvie elektromagnitnogo izlucheniya s atomnymi yadrami (Interaction of Electromagnetic Radiation with Atomic Nuclei), Moscow: MGU, 1979.Google Scholar
- 5.Didyk, A.Yu., Wiuniewski, R., and Altynov, V.A., Extrapolations of Hydrogen Molar Volumes by Virial Expansion Series in Wide Temperature and Pressure Intervals, JINR Communications, no. E17-2008-183, Dubna: JINR, 2008.Google Scholar
- 6.Bethe, H. and Morrison, P., Elementary Nuclear Theory, 2nd ed. New York: Wiley, 1956.Google Scholar
- 9.Mueller, W.M., Blackledge, J.P., and Libowitz, G.G., Metal Hydrides, New York: Academic, 1968.Google Scholar
- 11.Didyk, A.Yu. and Wisniewski, R., Chemical composition and structural phase changes of Pd sample and properties of novel synthesized structure at dense deuterium gas under irradiation by γ-quanta, Physics of Particles and Nuclei Letters, 2012, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 615–631; Preprint E15-2012-34, Dubna: JINR, 2012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Didyk, A.Yu. and Wisniewski, R., Phenomenological nuclear reaction description in deuterium saturated palladium and synthesized structure in dense deuterium gas under irradiation by γ-quanta, Physics of Particles and Nuclei Letters, 2013, vol. 10, no. 3(180), pp. 437–457; Preprint E15-2012-35, Dubna: JINR, 2012.Google Scholar
- 13.Mukhin, K.N., Eksperimental’naya yadernaya fizika. Fizika atomnogo yadra (Experimental Nuclear Physics. Physics of Atomic Nucleus), Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1983, vol. 1.Google Scholar