Laboratory simulation of charging of polymers by beams of low-energy electrons
- 35 Downloads
Charging of polymeric samples with grounded metal layer is studied by two main schemes of experiment. In the first scheme, a polymer film is irradiated with the low-energy electrons with energy of 20–40 keV under conditions of absence of grounded metal objects nearby. It is demonstrated that development of breakdown in the double electrical layer on the open surface of the polymer is impossible. In the second scheme, when a grounded metallic mask is placed on the surface of the polymer film in the irradiation zone, discharges are easily initiated and represent spark creeping discharges. A possible mechanism of their initiation is proposed.
Keywordscharging spark creeping discharge polymeric samples irradiation low-energy electrons
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Tyutnev, A.P., Vannikov, A.V., Mingaleev, G.S., and Saenko, B.C., Elektricheskie yavleniya pri obluchenii polimerov (Electrical Phenomena at Polymer Irradiation), Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Boev, S.G. and Ushakov, V.Ya., Radiatsionnoe nakoplenie zaryada v tverdykh dielektrikakh i metody ego diagnostiki (Radiation Charge Accumulation in Solid Dielectrics and Its Diagnostic Methods), Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.Tyutnev, A.P., Saenko, B.C, Pozhidaev, and Kostyukov, N.S., Dielektricheskie svoistva polimerov v polyakh ioniziruyushchikh izluchenii (Polymer Dielectric Properties in Ionizing Radiation Fields), Moscow: Nauka, 2005.Google Scholar
- 6.Mileev, V.N. and Novikov, L.S., Physico-mathematical model of artificial earth satellite electrization on geostationary and high-elliptic orbits, in Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa. Vyp. 86 (Researches on Sun Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Physics, No. 86), Moscow: Nauka, 1989, pp. 64–98.Google Scholar
- 7.Meulenberg A., Evidence for a new discharge mechanism for dielectrics in a plasma, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, 1976, vol. 47, p. 237.Google Scholar
- 8.Yagushkin, N.I., Grafodatskii, O.S., Islyaev, Sh.N., Sergeev, A.I., and Smekalin, L.F., Radiation-electrical phenomena in dielectric materials of spacecrafts at electrization, in Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa. Vyp. 86 (Researches on Sun Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Physics, No. 86), Moscow: Nauka, 1989, pp. 131–168.Google Scholar
- 9.Yagushkin, N.I., Sergeev, A.I., and Gostishchev, E.A., Study of radiation-electric processes in dielectrics irradiated by electrons with energy up to 100 keV, in Model’ kosmosa. T. 2., (Space Model, vol. 2,) Novikov, L.S., Ed., Moscow: KDU, 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.Tyutnev, A.P., Tarasov, V.N., Karpechin, A.I., Saenko, V.S., Khodnenko, V.P., Pozhidaev, E.D., and Babkin, G.V., Electron charging of metallized fabrics for spacecraft thermal blankets, Proc. 6th Int. Symp. on Materials in a Space Environment, ESTEC, Noordwijk, 1994, pp. 341–348.Google Scholar
- 11.Tyutnev, A.P., Khodnenko, V.P., Sadovnichii, D.N., Yushkov, E.S., and Novikov, L.S., The nature of electrostatic discharges as studied during preflight laboratory testing of “Electro” spacecraft, Proc. 7th Int. Symp. on Materialals in a Space Environment, ESTEC, Toulouse, 1997, pp. 101–106.Google Scholar
- 13.Antonov, V.M., Ponomarenko, A.G., Grafodatskii, O.S., and Islyaev, Sh.N., Study of spacecraft model electrization in laboratory conditions, in Issledovaniya po geomagnetizmu, aeronomii i fizike Solntsa. Vyp. 86 (Researches on Sun Geomagnetism, Aeronomy and Physics, No. 86), Moscow: Nauka, 1989, pp. 45–63.Google Scholar