Formation of a strong joint between the fiber and the matrix in composite material polyethylene plastic
- 48 Downloads
The mechanical properties and fracture mode of polymer composite materials reinforced with fibers of high-performance polyethylene are investigated. It is found that plasma treatment (activation) of the fibers increases the composite strength. This effect is explained by the formation of chemically active centers on the surface of treated fibers, the strength of the fiber-matrix joints in which is higher. These centers can be seen through an optical microscope as white stripes. The changes observed are connected with a unique fibril-porous structure of the fibers as well as peculiarities of cross-cut craze propagation throughout the fibers.
Keywordscomposite materials polyethylene plastic high performance polyethylene fiber plasma treatment crazes mechanical properties fracture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bazhenov, S.L., Berlin, A.A., Kul’kov, A.A., and Oshmyan, V.G., Polimernye kompozitsionnye materialy. Prochnost’ i tekhnologiya (Polymer Composite Materials. Strength and Technology), Moscow: Izd. dom Intellekt, 2010.Google Scholar
- 2.Korneeva, N.V., Kudinov, V.V., Bazhenov, S.L., et al., New Potentialities in Producing Composites Reinforced with High-Strength High-Modulus Polyethylene Fibers, doi: 10.1023/A:1021734811034, Mekh. Kompozit. Mater., 2002, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 837–846.Google Scholar
- 3.Kudinov, V.V., Krylov, I.K., Korneeva, N.V., et al., Estimation of Physicochemical Interaction between the Fiber and the Matrix by Wet-Pull-Out Method during the Production of Composite Materials, Fiz. Khim. Obrab. Mater., 2007, no. 6, pp. 68–72.Google Scholar
- 4.Volynskii, A.L., Rebinder’s Effect in Polymers, Priroda, 2006, no. 11, pp. 11–18.Google Scholar
- 5.Kudinov, V.V., Shaekhov, M.F., and Korneeva, N.V., Effect of Plasma Treatment and Impregnation Technology on the Joint Strength of Epoxy Matrix with a Polyethylene Fiber during the the Production of Composite Materials, Fiz. Khim. Obrab. Mater., 2004, no. 3, pp. 18–24.Google Scholar
- 6.Tarnopol’skii, Yu.M. and Kintsis, T.Ya., Metody staticheskikh ispytanii armirovannykh plastikov (Static Methods of Reinforced Plastic Examination), Moscow: Khimiya, 1975.Google Scholar
- 7.Smith, P. and Lemstra, P.J., Process for the Preparation of Filaments of High Tensile Strength and Modulus, US Patent 4422993.Google Scholar