High-rate precision directional surveys in small-diameter wellbores: Results from practical implementation
- 33 Downloads
We present the results from the development and implementation of a new small-sized cable gyro inclinometer (GI) designed for precision continuous surveying in wellbores during the movement of a downhole tool. We discuss the solutions for the GI’s design, configuration, and operation algorithms that allowed us to create a state-of-the-art instrument for monitoring wellbore position.
KeywordsWellbore Drill String Continuous Survey Directional Survey Angular Rate Sensor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chio, C.R., Phillips, W.J., Aklesta, D.L., A New Wellbore Position Calculation Method (SPE Drilling & Completion), 2003, vol. 18, pp. 209–213.Google Scholar
- 2.Noy, K.A. and Leonard, J.G., A New Rate Gyroscopic Wellbore Survey System Achieves the Accuracy and Operational Flexibility Needed for Today’s Complex Drilling Challenges (Proc. SPE/IADC 37664 Drilling Conference), Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1997, pp. 773–783.Google Scholar
- 3.Freyman, E.V., Krivosheev, S.V., Losev, V.V., Peculiarities of the Development of Algorithms of Gyro Inclinometer Orientation Based on a Single—Axis Gyro Stabilizer, Giroskopiya i Navigatsiya (Gyroscopy and Navigation), 2001, no. 1.Google Scholar
- 4.Binder, Ya.I. and Paderina, T.V., Continuous Inclinometer Based on a Strapdown Directional Gyro, Part I, Izv. Vuzov. Priborostroyeniye, 2003, no. 12.Google Scholar
- 5.Binder, Ya.I. and Paderina, T.V., Continuous Inclinometer Based on a Strapdown Directional Gyro, Part II, Izv. Vuzov. Priborostroyeniye, 2004, no. 5.Google Scholar
- 6.Brooks, A., et al., Quantification of Depth Accuracy, Proc. Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Dallas, Texas. 9–12 October, 2005, Dallas, Texas, SPE 95611, 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.Chichinadze, M.V., Popov, G.V., Lyusin, Yu.B., Subsurface navigation: the issues and ways forward, Proc. VII Saint Petersburg International Conference on Integrated Navigation Systems, Saint Petersburg, CSRI Elektropribor, 2000.Google Scholar