Microbiological factors of the formation of iron-containing minerals
- 33 Downloads
In the present study, the process of biofilm formation in iron-containing aqueous medium in the presence of different organic compounds with different bioavailability (yeast extract, peptone, and humic substances) is considered. Investigations conducted using a scanning electronic microscope and X-ray diffraction analysis allow us to reveal the presence of biologically produced goethite (α-FeOOH) in the crystal structure. It was supposed that the supply of surface waters contaminated with organic compounds to ironcontaining underground waters could increase the risk of plugging aquifer pore space by biogenic iron-containing minerals.
Keywordsunderground waters organic matter biofilm biomineral goethite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Coker, V.S., Byrne, J.M., Telling, N.D., van der Laan, G., Lloyd, J.R., Hitchcock, A.P., Wang, J., and Pattrick, R.A., Characterization of the dissimilatory reduction of Fe(III)-oxyhydroxide at the microbe-mineral interface: the application of STXM-XMCD, Geobiology, 2012, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 347–354.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Karmalov, A.I. and Filimonova, S.V., Overcoming of the clogging and corrosion effects of equipment boreholes, Vodosnabzh. Sanit. Tekh., 2011, no. 9, pp. 21–25.Google Scholar
- Kondratyeva, L.M. and Litvinenko, Z.N., Production of biofilms by microbial complexes in underground waters in vitro, Biotekhnologiya, 2014, no. 3, pp. 73–82.Google Scholar
- Kondratyeva, L.M., Morozova, O.Yu., Andreeva, D.V., Stukova, O.Yu., and Golubeva, E.M., Microbiological factor in Fe migration through the biogeochemical barriers, Mater. Vseross. kofn. “Geologicheskaya evolyutsiya vzaimodeistviya vody s gornymi porodami” (Proc. All- Russ. Conf. “Geological Evolution of Interaction of Water and Mountain Minerals”), Tomsk: Izd. Nauch. Tekh. Liter., 2012, pp. 321–324.Google Scholar
- Kulakov, V.V. and Kondratyeva, L.M., Biogeochemical purification of underground waters in Amur region, Tikhookean. Geol., 2008, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 109–118.Google Scholar
- Potekhina, Zh.S., Metabolizm Fe(III) vosstanavlivayushchikh bakterii (Metabolism of Fe(III) Reducing Bacteria), Tolyatti: Inst. Ekol. Vodn. Basseina, Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2006.Google Scholar
- Yang, H., Lu, R., Downs, R.T., and Costin, G., Goethite, a-FeO(OH), from single-crystal data, Acta Crystallogr., 2006, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 250–252.Google Scholar
- Zavarzin, G.A., Non-Darwinian branch of evolution, Vestn. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2000, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 403–411.Google Scholar