Type of rheoreaction in the early ontogenesis of roach Rutilus rutilus (L.) as a factor determining its biotopic distribution
- 15 Downloads
The specific features of rheoreaction in roach Rutilus rutilus (L.) larvae from open and protected shallows of the Rybinsk Reservoir have been studied. Data on length and weight of roach sampled at various habitats at B–E developmental stages are presented. It has been revealed that the type of roach larvae rheoreaction is a behavioral mechanism of their distribution over different types of habitats, not only in rivers but also in the waterbodies with slow water turnover rates—lakes and reservoirs. By the time of developmental stage E, this mechanism provides the sustainable spatial separation of juvenile fish, which in the future may lead to intrapopulation differentiation in roach.
Keywordsfish early ontogenesis rheoreaction distribution biotope roach Rutilus rutilus (L.)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vasnetsov, V.V., Stages of development of teleost fish, in Ocherki po obshchim voprosam ikhtiologii (Essays on General Problems of Ichthyology), Moscow: Nauka, 1953, pp. 207–217.Google Scholar
- 2.Gerasimov, Yu.V. and Poddubnyi, S.A., Rol’ gidrologicheskogo rezhima v formirovanii skoplenii ryb na melkovod’yakh ravninnykh vodokhranilishch (The Role of the Hydrological Regime in the Formation of Fish Aggregations in the Shallow Water Areas of Lowland Reservoirs), Yaroslavl: Yaroslav. Gos.-Tekhn. Univ., 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.Kas’yanov, A.N., Izyumov, Yu.G., and Yakovlev, V.N., Morphological variability and intraspecific structure of roach Rutilus rutilus (L.) (Cypriniformes, Cyprinidae) in water bodies of the Volga River basin, Zool. Zh., 1982, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1826–1836.Google Scholar
- 4.Kostin, V.V. and Pavlov, D.S., Stereotypes of the migratory behavior of juvenile fish in rivers, in Mater. V Vseros. konf. po povedeniyu zhivotnykh (Proc. V All- Russia. Conf. on the Behavior of Animalst), Kostroma: Kostrom. Pechat. Dom, 2014, p. 99.Google Scholar
- 5.Pavlov, D.S., Lupandin, A.I., and Kostin, V.V., Mekhanizmy pokatnoi migratsii molodi rechnykh ryb (Mechanisms of Downstream Migration of Juvenile Freshwater Fish), Moscow: Nauka, 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.Stolbunov, I.A., Morphological variability of juvenile roach Rutilus rutilus (L.) in the Rybinsk Reservoir, Biol. Vnutr. Vod, 2005, no. 4, pp. 67–71.Google Scholar
- 8.Stolbunov, I.A., Troficheskie kharakteristiki molodi plotvy Rutilus rutilus (L.) v razlichnykh ekologicheskikh usloviyakh, Biol. Vnutr. Vod, 2006, no. 3, pp. 73–77.Google Scholar
- 10.Stolbunov, I.A., Golovanova, I.L., Kuz’mina, V.V., et al., Morphological, physiological, and biochemical parameters of different ecological groups of the roach Rutilus rutilus (L.), in Mater. mezhd. nauchno-prakt. konf. “Kompleksnyi podkhod k probleme sokhraneniya i vosstanovleniya bioresursov Kaspiiskogo basseina” (Proc. Int. Sci.-Pract. Conf. “An Integrated Approach to the Problem of Conservation and Restoration of Biological Resources of the Caspian Sea Basin”), Astrakhan, 2008, pp. 295–299.Google Scholar
- 12.Pavlov, D.S., Lupandin, A.I., Kostin, V.V., et al., Downstream migration and behavior of juvenile roach Rutilus rutilus (Cyprinidae) from two phenotypic groups, J. Ichthyol., 2001, vol. 41, suppl. 2, pp. 133–179.Google Scholar