Ultrastructural organization and composition of carotenoids of the eyespot in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii mutants
- 76 Downloads
Biogenesis of the ultrastructure of the eyespot in chloroplasts of unicellular green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii has been studied. It was established that development of the eyespot structure correlates with the accumulation of carotenoids. Due to their accumulation, the eyespot forms from one to four layers of lipid-carotenoid globules. It has been shown that, in eyespot globules, only carotenes are accumulated. It was found for the first time that, in mutants, the carotene composition in the eyespot may be changed due to changes of their composition in chloroplast membranes.
KeywordsChlamydomonas reinhardtii mutants chloroplast eyespot ultrastructure carotenes xanthophylls
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Grung, M., Kreimer, G., Calenberg, M., Melkonian, M., and Liaaen-Jensen, S., Carotenoids in the eyespot apparatus of the flagellate green alga Spermatozopsis similes: aAdaptation to the retinal-based photoreceptor, Planta, 1978, vol. 193, pp. 38–43.Google Scholar
- Ladygin, V.G. and Shirshikova, G.N., Involvement of photosystem-I in light-induced conversion of violaxanthin to zeaxanthin, Physiol. Rast., 1987, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1068–1072.Google Scholar
- Ladygin, V.G., Collection of the mutant Chlamydomonas strains of the Institute of Soil Science and Photosynthesis, Pushchino, in Katalog kul’tur mikrovodoroslei v kollektsiyakh SSSR (Catalogue of Microalgal Cultures in the Collections of the USSR), Moscow: Izd. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1991, pp. 152–173.Google Scholar
- Ladygin, V.G., Pigment mutations of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii induced by N-nitrosoethylurea and by UV-irradiation, Genetika, 1970, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 127–131.Google Scholar
- Melkonian, M. and Robenek, H., The eyespot apparatus of flagellated green algae: a critical review, Prog. Phycol. Res., 1984, vol. 3, pp. 193–268.Google Scholar
- Semenova, G.A., Ultrastructural organization of Chlamydomonas eyespot, Tsitologiia, 1978, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 603–606.Google Scholar
- Sineshchekov, O.A., Govorunova, U.G., and Litvin, F.F., Role of photosynthetic apparatus and stigma in the formation of spectral sensitivity of phototaxis in flagellated green algae, Biofizika, 1989, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 255–258.Google Scholar
- Takahashi, T., Yoshihara, K., Watanabe, M., Kubota, M., Johnson, R., Derguini, F., and Nakanishi, K., Photoisomerization of retinal at 13-ene is important for phototaxis of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: simultaneous measurements of phototactic and photophobic responses, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 1991, vol. 178, pp. 1273–1279.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar