A subset of cells in tobacco mosaic virus (TMV)-induced local lesions in Datura stramonium leaves are tolerant to TMV
- 56 Downloads
Ultrastructural examination of tobacco mosaic virus-induced local lesions growing in Datura stramonium leaves is carried out. It is demonstrated that, in the central area of the lesions, the cell response to viral invasion is not uniform. Most cells exhibited an acute hypersensitive reaction (HR) and underwent rapid and complete necrosis. However, some cells, despite considerable virus accumulation and immediate contact with completely collapsed cells, maintained a certain degree of structural integrity. Analysis performed showed that the proportion of collapsed and uncollapsed cells in the lesion centre 3 to 5 days after infection essentially did not change. These data suggest that the absence of HR in some cells in the lesion centre is not due to an early stage of infection but is likely caused by cell tolerance of the virus.
KeywordsCell ultrastructure Datura stramonium leaves hypersensitive reaction tobacco mosaic virus
programmed cell death
tobacco mosaic virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belitser, N.V., Lysosomal System and Microbodies in Plant and Animal Cells, Extended Abstract of Doctoral (Biol.) Dissertation, Leningrad, 1978.Google Scholar
- Esau, K., Viruses in Plant Hosts. Form, Distribution and Pathologic Effects, Madison: Univ. Wisconsin Press, 1968.Google Scholar
- Favali, M.A., Bassi, M., and Conti, G.G., Morphological, Cytochemical and Autoradiographic Studies of Local Lesions Induced by the U5 Strain of Tobacco Mosaic Virus in Nicotiana glutinosa L., Rivista di Patologia Vegetale. Series IV, 1974, vol. 10, pp. 207–218.Google Scholar
- Reunov, A.V., Virusnyi patogenez i zashchitnye mekhanizmy rastenii (Viral Pathogenesis and Defensive Mechanisms of Plants), Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 1999.Google Scholar
- Reunov, A.V., Cytology of Plant Cell Damaged by Viruses (TMV, PVX) and the Problem of Plant Resistance, Extended Abstract of Doctoral (Biol.) Dissertation, Kiev, 1989.Google Scholar
- Reunov, A.V., Reunova, G.D., Nagorskaya, V.P., Lapshina, L.A., and Lega, S.N., Destruction of Tobacco Mosaic Virus in Developing Local Lesions in Leaves of Datura stramonium L., Acta Phytopathol. Entomol. Hung., 1996, vol. 31, nos. 1–2, pp. 11–17.Google Scholar
- Robinson, D.G., Clathrin-Mediated Trafficking, Trends Plant Sci., 1996, vol. 1, pp. 349–355.Google Scholar
- Zavarzin, A.A. and Kharazova, A.D., Osnovy obshchei tsitologii (Fundamentals of General Cytology), Leningrad: Leningr. Gos. Univ., 1982.Google Scholar