Finding the distance between ellipsoids
- 94 Downloads
Under study is the problem of finding the nearest points from one ellipsoid to the other. Some new algorithms for solving this problem are constructed, using the theory of exact penalty functions and nonsmooth analysis. We propose two iterative methods of (steepest and hypodifferential) descent. The new algorithms (as compared with those previously known) have specific advantages; in particular, they are universal and less labor-consuming. Software for implementing these algorithms is developed inMATLAB and Maple.
Keywordsnonsmooth analysis nearest distance ellipsoid exact penalty function subdifferential method of hypodifferential descent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. F. Dem’yanov, “Exact Penalty Functions in Problems of Nonsmooth Optimization,” Vestn. St.-Peterbg. Univ. Ser. I, No. 4, 21–27 (1994) [Vestnik St.-Petersburg Univ. Math. 27 (4), 16–22 (1994)].Google Scholar
- 2.V. F. Dem’yanov, Conditions of Extremum and Calculus of Variations (Vysshaya Shkola, Moscow, 2005) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.E. A. Kalinina and A. Yu. Uteshev, Exclusion Theory: a Textbook (NII Khimii St.-Petersburg. Gos. Univ., St. Petersburg, 2002) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.A. I. Kosolap, “Quadratic Optimization Problems of Computer Geometry,” Iskusstv. Intellekt, No. 1, 70–75.Google Scholar
- 8.D. M. Lebedev and L. N. Polyakova, “The Problem of Pprojecting the Origin on a Quadric,” Vestnik St.-Peterbg. Univ. Ser. 10, No. 14, 11–17 (2013).Google Scholar
- 9.G. Sh. Tamasyan, “On Methods of Steepest and Hypodiffernetial Descent in one Problem of Calculus of Variations,” Comp. Methods and Comp. Sci. 13, 197–217 (2012).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Yu. Uteshev, Computation of Distances between Geometric Objects, http://pmpu.ru/vf4/algebra2/optimiz/distance.