Color indices of core-collapse supernova host galaxies
Using data from different catalogues, we determined color indices of early type (E, L, and S0/a) core-collapse supernova host galaxies. These color indices were compared with the colors of the galaxies of the same morphological types but in which explosions of such supernovae have not been observed. It is shown that in the blue sequence of the color-magnitude diagram, the compared samples of galaxies differ with probability P = 95% in the relative frequencies of the (U − B) Tc 0 and (U − B) T 0 color indices in the intervals from \(- 0_ \cdot ^m 1\) to \(- 0_ \cdot ^m 01\) and \(0_ \cdot ^m 1\) to \(0_ \cdot ^m 19\). A difference in the relative frequencies with probability P = 99% was also obtained for the (B − V) Tc 0 and (B − V) T 0 colors in the interval \(0_ \cdot ^m 5 - 0_ \cdot ^m 59\). The calculated average colors of these intervals for the galaxies of both samples allow us to assume a significant proportion of the young population in them. The Kolmogorov-Smirnov test showed that the colors of the core-collapse supernova host galaxies and the early-type galaxies without explosions of such supernovae are similar on average with probability P = 95%, and the galaxies do not differ in stellar population content.
Keywordsgalaxies photometry—galaxies stellar content—supernovae
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.I. D. Karachentsev, Double galaxies (Nauka, Moscow, 1987) [in Russian], p. 182.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Sandage and J. Bedke, The Carnegue Atlas of Galaxies (Washington Carnegue Inst., Washington, 1994).Google Scholar
- 13.G. D. Polyakova, Izvestiya Glavnoy astron. obs. 219, 260 (2009).Google Scholar
- 18.G. D. Polyakova, Izvestiya Glavnoy astron. obs. 220, 565 (2013).Google Scholar
- 21.P. Nilson, Uppsala General Catalogue of Galaxies (1973).Google Scholar