Influence of the atmospheric circulation on ice-thermal processes on Baikal during 1950–2010
- 33 Downloads
A study is made of the influence of the large-scale atmospheric circulation, described by the indices of Northern Hemisphere Teleconnection Patterns, on air temperature and ice-thermal characteristics of Lake Baikal for the time interval 1950–2010. Multiple linear regression equations have been obtained to account for 46–47% of the air temperature changes during the winter, spring and autumn seasons, and for 18% during the summer season. The main contribution to air temperature change for separate seasons (except in the summertime) and ice-thermal characteristics is made by the fluctuations of the AO and NAO indices characterizing the west-east transport of air masses, and of the SCAND and Sh indices of the mechanisms blocking this transport.
Keywordsair temperature ice phenomena water temperature atmospheric circulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shimaraev, M.V., Kuimova, L.N., Sinyukovich, V.N., and Tsekhanovskii, V.V., Manifestation of Global Climate Changes in Lake Baikal During the 20th Century, Doklady Earth Sciences, vol. 383,issue 3, pp. 288–291.Google Scholar
- 2.Shimaraev, M.N., Circulation Factors of Changes in the Ice-Thermal Regime of Baikal, Geografiya i prirod. resursy, 2007, no. 4, pp. 54–60 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.Shimaraev, M.N., Influence of the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) on Ice-Thermal Processes in Baikal, Doklady Akademii nauk, 2008, vol. 423, no. 3, pp. 397–400 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.Troitskaya, E.S., Shimaraev, M.N. and Tsekhanovskii, V.V., Long-Term Changes in Surface Water Temperature in Baikal, Geografiya i prirod. resursy, 2003, no. 2, pp. 47–50 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.Popova, V.V. and Shmakin, A.B., The Circulation Mechanisms of Large-Scale Air Temperature Anomalies in Winters in Northern Eurasia at the End of the 20th Century, Meteorologiya i gidrologiya, 2006, no. 12, pp. 15–25 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.Shimaraev, M.N. and Starygina, L.N., Lake Baikal: Zonal Atmospheric Circulation, Climate and Hydrological Processes (1968–2007), Geography and Natural Resources, 2010, issue 3, pp. 245–250.Google Scholar
- 15.Standardized Northern Hemisphere Teleconnection Indices. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov.
- 17.Data Archives VNIIGMI-WDC. http://www.meteo.ru.
- 18.Verbolov, V.I., Sokol’nikov, V.M. and Shimaraev, M.N., Hydrometeorological Regime and Heat Balance of Lake Baikal, Leningrad; Moscow: Nauka, 1965.Google Scholar