The State of Albumin Thiol Groups in Patients with the First Episode of Schizophrenia
- 7 Downloads
In this paper, the state of the body’s antioxidant defense was studied using the state of thiol groups in the albumin in patients with their first episode of schizophrenia (FES). We examined 21 patients with the first psychotic attack of schizophrenia; the average severity of the disorders was 75 ± 2 points on the PANSS scale. All patients were examined prior to initiation of the drug therapy. The control group consisted of ten healthy volunteers. The concentration and reactivity of the albumin SH groups was determined in the reaction with dithionitrobenzoic acid. As a result of the study, we found a 24% decrease in the average reactivity of albumin SH groups in the FES group compared with the control group (p = 0.02). Using two parameters, that is, the concentration and reactivity of albumin thiols, it was possible to separate the patient group and the control group, with the probability of a relationship of the patient to the respective group of 86%. Thus, patients with the first episode of schizophrenia before the start of treatment are characterized by significant disturbances in the concentration and reactivity of the albumin SH-groups involved in redox processes in the body.
Keywordsfirst episode of schizophrenia thiol group of albumin concentration of reduced thiols reaction rate constant Ellman reaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gurovich, I.Ya. and Shmukler, A.B., Pervyi psikhoticheskii epizod (problemy i psikhiatricheskaya pomoshch’) (First Psychotic Episode (Problems and Psychiatric Help)), Moscow: Medpraktika-M, 2010.Google Scholar
- 3.Uzbekov, M.G., Misionzhnik, E.Yu., Shmukler, A.B., Gurovich, I.Ya., Gryzunov, Yu.A., Smolina, N.V., Kalinina, V.V., Sokolova, T.N., Moskvitina, T.A., and Shevchenko, V.A., Zhurn. Nevrol. i Psikhiatr. im. S.S. Korsakova, 2009, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 48–52.Google Scholar
- 8.Uzbekov, M.G., Sotsial’naya i Klinicheskaya Psikhiatriya, 2005, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 108–110.Google Scholar
- 9.Peters, T.J., All about Albumin: Biochemistry, Genetics and Medical Applications, San Diego: Academic Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.Jocelyn, P.C., Biochemistry of the SH Group, London, New York: Academic Press, 1972.Google Scholar
- 11.Pikkering, U.F., Sovremennaya analiticheskaya khimiya (Modern Analytical Chemistry), Moscow: Khimiya, 1977.Google Scholar
- 15.Guggenheim, E.A., Thermodynamics: An Advanced Treatment for Chemists and Physicists, Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company, 1949.Google Scholar
- 20.Mahadik, S.P., Mukherjee, S., Correnti, E.E., and Scheffer, R.E., Schizophr. Res., 1995, vol. 15, p.66.Google Scholar