Performance optimization of a microchannel heat sink using the Improved Strength Pareto Evolutionary Algorithm (SPEA2)
- 79 Downloads
In this paper, a feasible optimization scheme for rectangular microchannel heat sinks, which incorporates the thermal resistance model and the Improved Strength Pareto Evolutionary Algorithm (SPEA2), is reported. An alternative coolant, namely, ammonia gas, is used to improve the overall thermal and hydrodynamic performances of the considered system. Results from the optimization showed significant reduction in the total thermal resistance compared to the conventional air-cooled systems up to 35% for the same allowable pumping power. The SPEA2 exhibited excellent performance when it was compared to another multiobjective algorithm, NSGA2. The results reported in this study open the door for the incorporation of some other algorithms, which have not been used in the optimization of microchannel heat sinks. Finally, the outcome of this paper predicts a promising future for the usage of ammonia gas in the area of electronics cooling.
KeywordsThermal Resistance Multiobjective Optimization Channel Height Pareto Optimal Front Engineer THERMOPHYSICS
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Perret, C., Schaeffer, Ch., and Boussey, J., Microchannel Integrated Heat Sinks in Silicon Technology, Proc. 1998 IEEE Industry Applications Conf., USA, 1998, vol. 2, pp. 1051–1055.Google Scholar
- 14.Wen, Z. and Choo, F.K., The Optimum Thermal Design of Microchannel Heat Sinks, IEEE/CPMT Proc. 1st Electronic Packaging Technology Conf., 1997, pp. 123–129.Google Scholar
- 17.Li, J. and Kleinstreuer, C., Entropy Generation Analysis for Nanofluid Flow in Microchannels, J. Heat Transfer, 2011, vol. 132, pp. 122401-1–122041-8.Google Scholar
- 19.Hu, G. and Xu, S., Optimization Design of Microchannel Heat Sink Based on SQP Method and Numerical Simulation, IEEE Proc. Applied Superconductivity and Electromagnetic Devices, Chengdu, China, 2009, pp. 89–92.Google Scholar
- 22.Choquette, S.F., Faghri, M., Charmchi, M., and Asako, Y., Optimum Design of Microchannel Heat Sinks. Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS), Am. Soc.Mech. Engin., Dynamic Syst. Control, 1996, vol. 59, pp. 115–126.Google Scholar
- 26.Husain, A. and Kim, K., Microchannel Heat Sinking: Analysis and Optimization, Proc. 4th Int. Symp. on Fluid Machinery and Fluid Engin., 2008, Beijing, China pp. 185–190.Google Scholar
- 27.Zitzler, E., Laumanns, M., and Thiele, L., SPEA2: Improving the Strength Pareto Evolutionary Algorithm, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland, Techn. rep. TIK-Report 103, 2001.Google Scholar
- 29.Copeland, D., Optimization of Parallel Plate Heat Sinks for Forced Convection, Sixteenth IEEE Semi-Therm Symp., 2000, pp. 266–272.Google Scholar
- 30.Rivas-Davalos, F. and Irving, M.R., An Approach Based on the Strength Pareto Evolutionary Algorithm 2 for Power Distribution System Planning, Techn. rep., 2004.Google Scholar
- 32.Deb, K., Agrawal, S., Pratap, A., and Meyarivan, T., A Fast and Elitist Multi-Objective Genetic Algorithm for Multi-Objective Optimization, NSGA-2, Proc. Parallel Problem Solving from Nature VI Conf., Paris, 2002, pp. 849–858, doi: S1089-778X(02)04101-2.Google Scholar